Chapter 45

I don't wait for anyone to say anything and head out of the house. I walk for a few minutes before I feel a prick at my neck. I place my hand on my neck and take out the syringe. I look at the syringe. What is going on?

Before I can think further, I become dizzy. I look around but no one is there to call out for help. My eyelids become heavy and I succumb to unconscious.

*

I slowly open my eyes. It feels like I've slept for months. My vision is blurry. I look around and find myself in a dark cave. Why does this cave look familiar?

I try to move but I find myself on the ground with my hands and legs tied together. I try to break free but I'm not able to. I feel weak.

I try to make sense of my situation. Why am I here? How did I get here?

I try to remember. The last thing that I remember is having a heated conversation with Joshua and walking out of his house. And then, a prick at my neck, a syringe and then falling on the ground.

Who attacked me?

"I didn't know you would wake up so soon," said a familiar voice. I can see a guy coming towards me but his face is a blur.

"What did you do to me?" I asked in a menacing tone.

"Nothing much. Just gave you a heavy dose of tranquilizer to knock you out," he simply says.

"Who are you?" I ask next.

"You didn't recognize me?" He asks with a mock surprise. "Not even my voice?" He doesn't wait for me to reply and continues, "Let me come closer so that you can see who I am."

As he comes closer, his face becomes clearer. When I see his face, I'm left shocked. I can't believe my eyes. I can't believe that the person standing in front of me is none other than Benjamin.

"Do you recognize me now?" He questions sarcastically.

"What are you doing, Benjamin? Why am I here? Why are my hands and legs tied?"

"You will get the answers to your questions when the time is right."

The way he's talking and the way he's behaving with me is cold.

He turns around and starts walking away.

"What do you want?" I scream at him.

"You'll come to know, all in good time."

I see him walking towards a table. He picks something up. He turns around and walks back to me. When he comes closer, I see a syringe in his hand.

"What's in the syringe?" I ask while trying to keep my body away from him.

"You ask too many questions," he says as he injects me. And soon, I lose consciousness.

*

When I gain consciousness, the first person that I see is Benjamin. He's standing not too far from me with his arms crossed.

"Why do you keep giving me tranquilizers?"

"Would you prefer to be injected with something else? Maybe wolfsbane?" Asked a very familiar voice. He steps out from Benjamin's shadow and stands in front of me. I'm not too surprised to see him.

"You don't seem shocked to see me," he says.

"Why would I be shocked to see my own cousin standing in front of me?"

Joshua laughs. "I really like your sense of humour."

"It's good to know that you at least like something about me."

"Benjamin told me that you were asking a lot of questions. Don't you want to ask me anything?"

"After seeing you, I've got all the answers to my questions."

"Really?" He asks mockingly. He starts laughing. After his laughter subdues, he says, "There are so many things that you don't know about. Let's have a conversation. Let's see how much do you know." He sits on the ground opposite me. "Do you know why you're here?"

"You want to kill me."

"That's correct," he says. He's happy with my answer. "Do you know why I want to kill you?" He asks next.

"Isn't it obvious? You want to kill me because you want to become the Beta," I say.

"That's correct. But that isn't my primary reason to kill you."

"Then what is?" I ask. I'm really not interested in conversing with him. The only reason why I'm talking to him is to gain some time. My mind is searching for ways to escape.

"Look around you. Tell me what do you see? Doesn't this place look familiar to you?"

I look around. This place definitely looks familiar to me but I can't recall how.

"This was the same place where Alarick's sister was brought," he says. His words clear my confusion. This is the same cave where Kurt brought Anne.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask.

"To finish what Kurt started," he replies. "I want to kill you to avenge Kurt's death."

"To avenge him? What are you talking about?"

"He was my friend! He was like an elder brother to me! And your mate killed him!" Joshua screams.

Author's Note:
Benjamin is patrol team leader of Alarick's pack.