Chapter 38

Charles' Point Of View

"How long will you hide it from her?" I ask Alarick.

"As long as it is required," he answers without missing a beat.

"What you are doing is wrong," I state.

"It's not wrong if you look at it from my perspective," he says in a firm tone.

"Chriselda is going to hate you if she comes to know what you're doing."

"If she's going to hate me for protecting her then so be it."

I shake my head in disapproval. "Alarick, we've all seen this happen before. You know what happend when you tried to protect Chriselda the last time."

"Yes, she was angry and hurt but I acted in the best interests of her. I thought that she'll never forgive me but she did when she realized where I was coming from. And this time too, I have reasons to do what I'm doing."

"You are her mate. You're not supposed to hide things from her," I try to convince him.

"You can say the same thing to her," he tells me as he folds his arms. "I'm not the only one who's hiding things."

I sigh as I give up. Before I go to my room, I say, "When you do it the first time, it's a mistake. But when you do it the second time, it becomes a habit. Keeping things from Chriselda is becoming your habit. I just want to let you know that she won't forgive you this time."

*

Chriselda's Point Of View

When I reach Lucy's pack house, I find Selena already there. We all greet each other and sit and talk about normal things. We don't talk about our plan since Lucy's Beta and Gamma are also present. After we've had a nice chat, we go to Lucy's room to rest. Just as we decided, we'll be carrying out our plan tomorrow.

*

The day to catch the spy has finally arrived. After getting refreshed, we take our bags, say our goodbyes to Lucy's Gamma and Beta, get into the car and start our journey.

Our journey has started with silence. Lucy is driving while I'm in the passenger seat, replaying Alarick's words in my head, and Selena is in the backseat.

After a few minutes have passed, I can feel two pairs of eyes on me. I look beside me and find that Lucy and Selena are staring at me.

"Is everything alright?" Lucy questions me. "You look a little distracted."

I nod and say, "Yes, I'm distracted."

"Why?" She asks next.

I sigh and tell them about my conversation with Alarick. When I'm done, silence follows.

"I really don't know what to say," Lucy says after a long time.

"Same here," Selena adds. "I can't give my opinion since I haven't found my mate."

I turn to Lucy. "I know that I shouldn't be hiding things from Alarick but what option do I have? If I would've told him the truth then he wouldn't have let me come or he might've accompanied me. In either of the cases, we wouldn't be able to carry out our plan properly. Tell me, Lucy, what would you have done if you were in my place?"

"I would have done the same thing that you did. I would've taken the same decision, I would've reacted the same way. And Brent would've said the same things to me if he was in Alarick's place," Lucy replied. "I know where Alarick is coming from. I know that he doesn't trust me and he has reasons not to trust me. After all, my brother tried to kill you. So, it's justified on Alarick's part to be concerned for you. He just wants you to be safe. And he thinks that you won't be safe as long as we remain friends. If someone else was in my place, then he wouldn't be worried about you."