Kaagad kong hinanap si Manang Joji nang makapasok ako sa mansion. I saw her in the kitchen, looking tired and still preparing a meal. She also cried in joy when she saw me, hugged me, and said she was sorry for the loss of my mother.

"Para ko na ding anak si Anastasia..." mangiyak-ngiyak niyang wika. "Gusto ko talagang pumunta sa libing niya kaso hindi ako makaalis dito..."

I assured her that it's okay and if we ever have a free time, we would visit my mother and her parents in Negros Occidental. Manang Joji wiped her tears and patted my head.

"Ang laki-laki mo na... Alam kong babalik ka dito, Anna. Matagal ko nang gustong umalis sa mansion na ito. Hindi na ito tulad ng dati. Pero hinihintay ko na bumalik ka..."

That made me cry even more. Manang Joji is like a second mother to me. Her warm hugs and hearty meals are always so comforting. Masaya ako na nandito pa rin siya sa mansion.

Baste suddenly entered my mind. Hindi ko naitatanong kay Papa kung nandito pa ba siya, o ang ama niyang si Mang Dante. I haven't gone to the hacienda, and haven't seen him welcome me in the mansion, either.

Thoughts of my first childhood friend suddenly vanished into thin air when I heard the clicking of sharp heels from the grand staircase. When I turned, I saw Valerie looking like a duchess, wearing a creamy silk dress and sparkling heels. She was holding a wine glass as she descended downstairs, and greeted my father with a kiss on the cheeks.

"How was your travel? Are you tired?" she asked in a sweet voice that made me sick. Nagkatinginan kaming dalawa ni Manang Joji. I shook my head and ignored the two of them, even though I could hear their faint voices talking in the grand parlor.

"Kumusta po kayo?" tanong ko kay Manang Joji. It looked like she lost some weight too, and wasn't as cheerful as I remembered her to be. Her eyes used to be bright and full of life. Now, all I could see is dread and disgust every time she stares at my stepmother.

"Ayos lang ako, Anna. Kaya ko pa naman."

Nangunot ang noo ko sa sinabi niya. "Ano pong ibig niyong sabihin?" I bit my lower lip. I don't want to intrude nor accuse my stepmother but I have a feeling she's done something awful to Manang Joji that she hates her this much. She's a very cheerful woman and doesn't get offended easily. "May ginawa po ba si Valerie?"

Humigit ng malalim na hininga si Manang Joji. I could hear the anger at the tip of her voice as she narrated how Valerie tried to fire her many times. She declared she didn't like how she cooks, how she stares at her, and even how she looks. Pinoprotektahan nalang siya ni Papa at pinapagalitan si Valerie sa tuwing may ginagawa siya kay Manang Joji. My father is close to our cook, too. Valerie can't just fire her away.

"Walang-wala si Valerie sa Mama mo, Anna. Mula nang dumating siya sa mansion na ito, nagbago na ang lahat..."

My heart sank inside of my chest as I continued to listen to her. Manang Joji prepared a sandwich for me while she continued to cook, and demanded me to eat it. Doon lang ako nagkaganang kumain. I was eating sandwich in the counter when I heard heavy footsteps darting towards the kitchen and a few seconds later, a heavily-sweated Steve showed up wearing his basketball running shorts and shirt.

Mukhang nagulat pa ito nang makita ako. Nangunot ang noo niya habang nakatitig sa akin.

"Sino ka? Bagong katulong?"

I almost choked on my sandwich by what he had said. Manang Joji stared at him, horrified.

"I'm not a housekeeper." I said silently.

"Eh anong ginagawa mo dito?"

Annoyed of how arrogant he acts, and how he doesn't even remember me after two years of being away, I put down my sandwich and looked him straight in the eyes.