Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I was crying all the time, and even more so as I watched my grandfather's coffin being buried six feet underground. Papa arranged the funeral again and made sure that he was buried next to his only love, Amelia. Mama was buried next to them, too. It was so tragic, watching the three Villafuerte tombs that breathing seems like a hard thing to do for me.

To say I was miserable for weeks was an understatement. I started to experience chest pains and headaches because of too much crying that I ignored all the time. Barin was so heartbroken by his owner's death that he dug the space where Lolo was buried when he was released to the cemetery.

Takot ang mga taong lumapit sa kaniya. I managed to calm him down and I could tell that he was really upset by the way he whimpers, as if calling to Lolo to come back and pet him. Papa watched us silently and apologized for what had happened, even though there's nothing he can do in the first place.

Nanatili kami ng tatlong linggo sa Negros Occidental bago namin napag-desisyunan na bumalik na sa La Union. At first, I was hesitant. I wanted to stay here, than be with Valerie and her children but I know I have no one to stay with. My father is the only family left and I couldn't run away from him. Not when I'm this sad and miserable.

And Barin. I have to take full responsibility of him from now on. The papers were arranged again by my father, and he got a permit to transfer Barin from Negros to La Union. He would be safely caged to travel and be assisted in his new home, our old mansion that houses bad memories now.

Nililinisan ko ang mga sugat ni Barin kapag wala akong ginagawa at hindi umiiyak. My father tried talking to me many times, but I refused to speak a word after my grandfather's death. It was so devastating losing all three of them at once that I don't know how to function properly again.

Kaya sa buong biyahe patungo sa La Union ay halos hindi kami nag-iimikan ni Papa. I could see the silent pleading in his eyes every time he talks to me in his low, quiet voice. He's always offering something, asking if I'm okay, and then making sure I was comfortable. He also talked his way into making me eat since I lost weight because of depression triggered by my loved one's death.

I haven't packed much for our trip back to La Union. I assumed all of my clothes are still in my room and could wear them when I get back. A month after the fire, we were allowed to get inside and retrieve what could be saved from the fire damage.

I almost cried in joy when I saw Lola Amelia's favorite crystal vase and Mama's satin robe. I carried it with me and promised myself that I would treasure the last two things I have in memory of them.

As for Lolo Ferdie, I always had Barin.

"Gusto mong kumain muna, Anna?" Papa asked me gently when we arrived at the airport, waiting for the driver to pick us up. Marahan akong umiling. I am so agitated to see Barin again. He'd be home by now and I wished the travel hadn't terrified him. They injected some sleeping pills so he would get distracted from the constant motion but I'm not sure it would work. Barin hates to be in the cage all the time. Nasanay na siyang pinapakawalan siya ni Lolo Ferdie sa mansion. Now I'm not sure how he will adjust to his new home, and new family members.

Malungkot ang tanaw ko sa coastal road na dinadaanan namin habang bumabyahe kami patungo sa mansion. The white railings by the cliff had been repainted, I noticed some new stores, the high school I went to as a young teenager had been added a new building to accommodate more students and other than that, everything else stayed the same in this small town.

Nang makarating kami sa mansion ay malakas ang tibok ng puso ko. It has been a while since I was here, and I could see that the gates were changed. It's much higher and the metal bars are thicker. I saw some new faces in our mansion and the old housekeepers who still remembered me beamed and cried in joy when they saw me.