Chapter 26

Disclaimer: this picture is not mine!

GRANGER POV

Granger sighed as the children counited to chatter in the back. He already told them once to shut the hell up, but of course no one listened. He secretly wished that the children were mute. He took a glance in the back of the carriage, as Nina decided to braid Flynn's hair. "Why did I agree to let them stay. I should of have said no" he thought miserably. Ruby nudged him and smiled.

     "Cheer up a little" she whispered looking at him.

     "How can I when they are being so annoying" Granger whispered back.

     "They are kids what do you expect" she questioned him. She was right about that. They where just kids, they will always be annoying little brats, until they get old. Granger chuckled just he thought about how he was disobedient he was when he was at the monastery.

     "Guess you are right about that" he replied with a grin. "Hey, kids lets play a game" added Granger turning around towards the kids. The kids went silent and stared at him, even Ruby looked at him with a confusing look. 

     "What game?" Gavin asked curiously. 

     "Why all sudden do you want us to play game, when you told us before to shut up" Flynn said tilting his head. 

     "Well, this game allows you guys to talk and is a competition. I'm going to ask questions about the monastery and whoever answers the most questions correctly will win" Granger explained. 

     "Well, I'm in!" chimed Nina joyfully.

     "Sure, I'll play" Gavin said. Nina and Gavin looked at Flynn, who didn't join in.

     "Fine..... I'll play this dumb game" Flynn groaned slumping down. Granger tired his best not to get annoyed with Flynn. 

     "Okay, I going to start with a difficult question" smirked Granger. "How many secret passages are in the monastery" asked Granger. The kids went silent and looked at each other.

     "There are secret passages in the monastery" Nina replied confused as she began to think. The children started contemplating as they continued to be silent. "Finally, now it would be quiet" Granger thought grinning to himself. Ruby glanced at him in surprise.

     "Nice job" whispered Ruby with a small grin. They reached to monastery within a couple of hours in complete silence. He looked back to see Gavin and Nina had fallen asleep expect for Flynn.

     "Thought of a number yet" Granger asked Flynn. Flynn shook his head in defeat.

     "No, I didn't even know that there were secret passages" replied Flynn. 

     "Well, we are here now, might what to wake up Nina and Gavin" said Ruby stopping the carriage. Flynn nudged Nina and Gavin awake.

     "Are we already at the monastery" questioned Nina groggily.

     "Yes, and you guys need to get out now" Ruby said getting down from the carriage and started to stretch. Granger and the kids hopped off the carriage. The monastery was still the same as Granger lasted saw it. A nun walked over to them.

     "What are you doing here, Granger?" the nun questioned.

     "Well, I wanted to see father and on the way, I found them" Granger answered pointing to the kids.

     "Gavin, Flynn, and Nina where have you been, come on follow me" the nun said pushing the kids towards the monastery. Granger and Ruby followed the nun inside.

RUBY POV

Ruby looked around at the monastery in awe. She didn't expect the monastery to be so gigantic and spectacular. Ruby noticed several children playing outside being supervised by nuns.

     "Why are there so many children here" she asked Granger.

      "All these kids are orphans and the monastery raises them until they are eighteen" answered Granger. Ruby nodded sadly as she looked at the kids. She could have easily be an orphan if it wasn't for Roger. She came to a stop as Granger halted in his tracks. Ruby saw a man in a white robe coming from the chapel.

     "Father, it has been awhile" Granger said controlling his anger.

     "Oh my! Granger it has been such a long time" father said with a warm smile. Ruby couldn't help but feel uncomfortable around the father. "I see you brought a friend. Nice to meet you I'm Father Laurence" he said putting out his hand.

     "I'm Ruby and its nice to meet you" Ruby said shacking father's hand.

     "You guys must be tired from traveling so far, come and I shall show you guys room to stay in" father said waving them to come with him. "Thanks for bringing back the children that ran away, tomorrow I was going to count all the kids that stay here, it would have been a shamed to have some missing" added father as they entered in a long hallway. Ruby and Granger looked at each other suspiciously. There was something total off about Father Laurence, but Ruby couldn't put her finger on it. "Something definitely is wrong about this monastery as the father stopped at a room.

     "Granger, this will be your room for awhile" the father said. Granger thanked him and was about to enter in the room before Father Laurence stopped him. "I would liked for you two to leave your weapons, you are freighting the children and nuns here" added the father. Ruby glared at him.

     "Sorry, but I'm personally attached to my scythe, since it holds a lot of importance to me, and you never know when something terrible can happen, so I liked to be prepared" replied Ruby.

     "I'm the same as her" Granger said as the farther sighed.

     "Okay, then guess I'll that this go for this one time" father said as he continued to walked down the hall to show Ruby were she will stay. Ruby followed the father to her room. She quickly closed the door behind her as she entered her room.

     "Step one, has been a success. Now for step two" said Ruby looking at the small mirror on the wall. "Find out what's going on in the monastery " thought Ruby.