The Assassin's Legacy

Word was sent to the wizard's quarters that the banquet table was being set and dinner would be served shortly. Gladis happily related all she knew and exulted in her feeling of service to the maguses.

As the three prepared to adjourn for their meal, a loud knock on the door chimed through the room followed by a familiar voice.
"Allo! Anybody 'ome? Ah got some pals for yah to meet and a couple of welcome presents!" Chumley called out cheerfully."

Gladis chuckled as she went to open the door.
"It is as I foretold, if thou serveth food, Sir Chumley will find thee."

She swung open the door to reveal the garrulous rat and his two hedgehog companions. Herman was pushing his barrow which held the large crate and Chumley carried the large tome which until recently had served as a booster seat for Winnie. They entered.

The hedgehogs stood back while Chumley exchanged heartfelt greetings with his friends. When the salutations were complete, Chumley beckoned the Corkspike brothers forward and introduced them to the group.

Before making any introductions, he handed the book to Vattus.
"Ah believe this maght be the book you were requirin'. Ah can't say for sure, can't read the old script, can ah?"

Vattus took the text and examined it. A smile spread across his face.
"Yes, this is the first Book of Prophecies! Outstanding, Chumley!"

Chumley smiled and put his arm gently on Herman's spiky back.
"This 'ere beast and 'is brother found it," he motioned to Winnie, "this fierce little fella is called Winnie Corkspike and this big fella is Herman...better known as Gadral Neure!"

Robbi's jaw dropped.
"You're the Grandmaster of the Guild of Assassins?"

"I suppose so," Herman said shyly.

"No offense, but you don't look like a killer," Robbi smiled.

Herman chuckled.
"None taken, I ain't but a poor gaffer. The Assassin stuff is kinda complicated."

Vattus smiled.
"You can explain over dinner."

Chumley held up his paw.
"As much as ah loves to eat, there's one more thing we need to show ya, don't we? Said ah had presents, didn't ah?" he motioned to Herman, "Bring that crate 'ere. Would ya?"

Herman wheeled the barrow in front of Vattus.
"What is in the box, Sir Chumley?" Gladis asked.

" 'Ave a look." Chumley smiled.

Robbi removed the lid of the crate to reveal the plugged large glass flask filled with a dark swirling smoke.
"I still don't know what I'm looking at," Robbi admitted.

Vattus' eyes grew wide.
"That isn't what I think it is, is it?" he asked incredulously.

Chumley laughed.
"It's three times what you think it is, mah friend. Our master assassin 'ere caught 'imself a trio of nasty Deev, 'e did. We figured we'd bring 'em along. Didn't want their friends to set them free, did we?"

"There are Deev in there?" Robbi said stepping back from the flask cautiously.

"Yeah. Ah imagine they're a bit peeved."

"Can they get out?" Robbi asked nervously.

"Ah certainly 'ope not." Chumley grinned.

Vattus examined the flask carefully. He tapped it, agitating the smoke.
"They cannot assume their true form while confined in so small a space. As long as the flask remains intact, they cannot escape. How did you manage this, Herman."

Winnie chimed in.
"Hermie is a great inventor, he used his sucker-thing to snatch up those things like they was dirt."

Vattus chuckled.
"Well done, my friend. You have managed to eliminate ten percent of our Deev foe, an incredible accomplishment...even for a master assassin."