Enemies

Bishop Skaar had always been a stoic man, fatalistic and comfortable in his position. Devoting his life to Azmeritus without question was easy for him, it afforded him a degree of comfort and a sense of importance. The bishop knew more about the mongoose than any creature living and had seen him in the full range of emotions, from elation to despair. The other high clergy knew only the persona that Azmeritus reflected in his capacity as the leader of the Scarlet Brotherhood and while his personal self was in many ways identical to the figure he put forth, there were subtle differences.

Skaar had never known the albino priest to be so focused on a single task. Nothing else seemed to matter but the awakening of Xenophus, all Azmeritus' energy was focused on that single point. Rumors of unrest within the clergy did not seem to even register with the high priest. The scheming of the Deev, the disregard for the liberated castaways and the rebellious pirates, none of those pressing matters seemed the least bit important to him. It was as though he were rushing to a finish line beyond which nothing existed.

Skaar did not care, he would follow the mongoose to the gates of hell and leap into its flames without question if his master simply asked. Azmeritus for his part considered Skaar as more than an acolyte, to him he was an appendage, a part of his own body. The mongoose did not trust easily nor deeply and had an abiding disgust for the human race, but these prejudices did not extend to Skaar. There was something about this human outcast, discarded in the desert, roasted and tempered by the sun, empty and ready to be filled with the prophecies of Neure, that reassured the mongoose of his own purpose.

Bishop Skaar entered the sacrificial cave, seeking Azmeritus after evening devotion. The mongoose had not attended and the bishop was concerned. Azmeritus sat next to the Abitar, bent over a table, deep in thought, studying the prophecies as he did each day. He addressed the bishop without looking up.
"I take it you are concerned that I have not left this cave in over a week?"

"Yes, eminence." Skaar responded, "I'm just checking to see if you are ill."

"Never better, dear bishop. I will no longer be attending any masses or functions outside of this space."

"May I ask why, your eminence?"

Azmeritus actually chuckled.
"You are the only one who may ask me why...at least the only one I would answer truthfully." He looked up and closed the book, then stood and walked over to a flagon of port. He poured two glasses, handing one to Skaar,  "I know you feel that I have been distracted, that I am unaware of all the small storms brewing around us. I can assure you, nothing is further from the truth.

"I am well aware that there is a conspiracy to remove me before the awakening...many of our brothers do not have the courage or the faith to see the ceremony through...they fear Xenophus...they fear nothingness, but not you my faithful servant, you alone obey without question. I am certain that this conspiracy is being led by our own Chief Acolyte Zaphyr...he is a bureaucrat and a pragmatist who has become seduced by the possibility of power."

"Shall I have him arrested?" Skaar asked.

"No, no. I will deal with him when the time comes. In the meantime, I plan on avoiding all meetings in large groups where the apostates could move against me...but do keep an eye on him."

"I will," Skaar took a deep drink from his glass, "what about the Deev?"

"As you know, Vasheron has sent word that he has secured the Rubitar and will be returning to Xenoth with it. In the slight possibility that this might actually be true, I have granted them permission to leave Minga and return here."

"You think the Prince is lying?"

Azmeritus made a dismissive gesture.
"I'm fairly certain of it. I think he is returning to support the coup."