Dark Plans

Prince Vasheron arrived at walls of Seth-e-Raman shortly before nightfall. He ordered his Minge to remain outside the city while he made contact with Taois and determined their next move. The Prince headed to the harbor and sought out the Wind Spirit.

Taois greeted his prince and escorted him to the captain's cabin. He poured two glasses of wine and informed Vasheron of all the events which had transpired. The Prince sat quietly in thought for quite a while before speaking.
"Disturbing...three Deev, gone?"

"Yes, highness. I fear we underestimated the Assassins."

"A setback, yes, but nothing we cannot address. I agree that our presence is now probably known. As you mentioned, the harbor blockade is a concern...it stands to reason they will begin a search within the harbor soon." Vasheron went silent in thought. He looked up at Taois. "Remove the Rubitar from the ship and move it to shore. Rent a warehouse...do not bicker over price...tell the owner you are storing goods for export awaiting the buyer. Do this immediately."

"Yes, Prince Vasheron, and what of you and the Abitar? Will you store it in the warehouse as well?"

"No, Seth-e-Raman is no longer safe. Once we are within its walls, the Abitar will be at the mercy of the city troops as the Rubitar is now. I will take my Minge and head north to Port Saud. It will add considerable time to our mission, but it will be easy to secure another ship to return to Xenoth. You will wait here until the commotion has died down and then slip out the harbor."

How long should we wait, my Prince?"

"No longer than two weeks. If the city is still on alert, you will have to break the blockade and make a run for Xenoth. You will have no problem in escaping the harbor, but you will be pursued. We are vulnerable at sea, our powers are no great advantage in a raging ocean, so it would be highly preferable to leave here secretly."

"As you command, sire...What of Neure...and the prophecies? Azmeritus seemed quite insistent on their recovery."

"Azmeritus! He is not our liege or lord. I am sick of his holiness. We will tell him that Neure is dead and the prophesies destroyed. We have no time to run his little errands. Already we have lost four Deev and I will lose no more looking for that freak's trifles!"

"He will be upset."

"What concern is that to me? We both know he intends to betray us. We both know he has no intention of restoring our immortality willingly. We will bring his Brotherhood to their knees and force him to fulfill his promise. I have already arranged for a fleet of brigands to aid our destruction of the Scarlet Brotherhood. They group in Minga, awaiting my word. I shall stop there prior to my return and await your arrival until the full moon in three weeks. I will leave with or without you. If you arrive later, head straight for Xenoth."

"I will. May I ask a question?"

"Go on."

"If we mean to destroy the priests, why are we even bothering with the Rubitar and the Abitar?" Taois asked.

"They are a bargaining chip. Azmeritus wants them more that anything else, save perhaps communion with his so-called 'Lord'. If he does, by some miracle, fulfill his promise of restoring our immortality, the point is moot, we will destroy him, leave and take the stones with us as spoils of conquest. If Azmeritus stalls, we will withhold them until he does as he promised."

Taois smiled.
"That is why you are our guiding light sire."

Vasheron stood to leave, he turned toward Taois and almost growled.

"When we no longer need to hide in the shadows, everyone will pay. They will pay dearly!"

 They will pay dearly!"