The Gaffer's Quest

It had been a long and relentless journey back to Seth-e-Raman for Herman and Winnie. Both hedgehogs were sore and tired by the time their carriage pulled up in front of King Sigus' Palace.

Herman had barely managed any sleep during the many days of rough roads, bad weather, and sparse meals. He was consumed by an unwieldy combination of guilt and purpose. The guilt that gnawed at him was twofold. He felt as though he was deserting his friends at a time of great need and worried that the tank he had created may have some unseen flaw making it unusable for its purpose, but even more than this concern, what bothered him most was concealing Vattus' declining health from those beasts who cared so deeply for the wizard. He had done so, of course, at Vattus' stern command, but that fact did little to mitigate the feeling that he was lying.

Winnie had fared slightly better, managing both snippets of sleep and full meals during the return south. Each time the carriage's pulling team was changed, four in all, the small hedgehog had filled his belly and tried to encourage his brother to do the same, with no success. Having arrived at their destination, they were surprised to find a royal escort waiting at the palace's entrance ready to take them to Vattus' quarters as soon as they exited the cab. They quickly traversed the royal gardens and entered the rear of the main structure, hustling urgently up the spiral interior stairwell to the second story where the wizard's room was located.

The escort left them at the door and Herman knocked loudly. The door opened revealing the old wizard, Pellus, who quickly introduced himself and led Herman and Winnie to a far window where Vattus lay, unmoving, in a large covered bed.

The High Magus looked very drawn and pale. Small droplets of perspiration covered his forehead and his breathing was raspy and shallow. He appeared to have lost a significant amount of weight. Every few minutes a quiver seemed to pass through his body, causing his hands and torso to quake while weak moans passed his bluish lips.

Herman was aghast and addressed Pellus urgently.
"Mister Vattus looks like 'e's on death's door, kin he wake or eat?"

Pellus shook his head.
"He hasn't been conscious in four days. He's very weak. I've been pouring broth and sugar water down his throat to keep him from starving, but unless we recover the Rubitar very soon so we can break my friend's bond with the stone...I'm afraid he will pass from our world. Before he lapsed into this fitful sleep, Vattus expressed his confidence in you, Mister Corkspike. He said you had a plan to recover the Rubitar from under the sea, I hope his faith in you was justified."

Herman rubbed his paw through his head-spikes and remained silent. Winnie stepped forward and placed his paw on Pellus' arm. The old wizard looked down into the smiling face of the young beast. He could not help but return the smile as Winnie spoke.
"If Hermie thinks he kin do it, he can. Hermie don't brag and he's a fine inventor o' things," Winnie pointed to a large concrete block in the center of Vattus' room, "That there is where my brother caught them nasty Deev-things what tried to kill us. It were one of his inventions what done it. He'll save Mister Vattus for sure."

Even Herman broke into a grin, despite the dire condition of Vattus and his own exhaustion.

"My liddle brother is me biggest fan. Mister Pellus, I stands by what I told Vattus afore I left for Thoth, I reckon I kin recover that there Rubitar so long as I can figger out just where it lies. I'll be needin' some stuff from my workshop," he handed several sheets of paper to the old wizard, "if you can get me a space and this stuff, I'll get started."

Pellus looked at the list and diagrams. He grabbed Herman's paw warmly and gripped it tight, then ruffled Winnie's head.
"I have no doubt Vattus' confidence in you is well deserved. I'll get these to King Sigus and have everything you need brought here. You look exhausted after your journey. The King has arranged for a room and some nice beds for you. Go and sleep, get rested. I'll see that you get some food sent to you as well. By the time you awaken, everything will be set up and ready to go."