The Eager Nemesis

Xenophus had remained as still as a statue, mouth agape. Only its cluster of evil eyes moved, each in a different direction, taking in all that surrounded it. Even the thick glistening tentacles remained immobile, draping over its head and coiling like leathery rope upon the floor at the creature's side.

As he led the supplicants to the monster's front, Skaar realized for the first time that the formations in the alcove, which he had always assumed to be stalactites and stalagmites were in fact the monster's fangs, dripping the vile poison that Azmeritus had used in his potions. He shuddered at the realization that in the years past he had spent time walking around the creatures mouth, unaware of the horror which surrounded him.

Azmeritus instructed several of his minions to place the bound Chief Acolyte Zaphyr into the gaping yaw of the beast first. Nervously, with looks of terror etched on their faces, they quickly deposited the squirming weasel into the opening and retreated to the safety of the cavern as quickly as their paws could carry them. The remainder of the noble supplicants stood stoically in front of the cavernous mouth mumbling silent prayers and devotions and trying very hard not to contemplate the fate which awaited them.

On Azmeritus' signal, the supplicants filed into the beasts waiting mouth and knelt. Zaphyr's eyes widened in horror and he managed one last whimper before the massive orifice closed.

Xenophus raised his head slightly off the floor, pointing his snout skyward. He swallowed his offering with a gluttonous gulp. Almost immediately upon the completion of his meal, the Ürgod thrust his head upward through the collapsed roof and let out a bone-chilling howl. Every beast in and around the castle froze at the sound. On the castle grounds, where both Frega and Vasheron had begun their attack, the battle ceased momentarily as every beast present stared in horror at the hideous leviathan head which now protruded from the hole in the center of the courtyard.

The monster ignored the beasts scurrying around it, fixated now on the magical shield arcing above its head, no longer invisible, but throbbing in a pulsating amber glow. Its tentacles extended upward and squirmed violently in an attempt to reach the mystic barrier a hundred feet above its repulsive head. With its body still trapped beneath the earth, the Ürgod struggled mightily, sending boulders flying as it flailed about.

Azmeritus was in a state of bliss, standing unmoving in front of the creature, unconcerned with the barrage of stone and dirt being thrown about. Then, as if waking from a dream, he sprang into action.

Ignoring the other beasts in the cave, he rushed to the Abitar and placed his paws upon it. Kneeling at its base the mongoose mouthed an incantation and almost immediately the crystal began to vibrate. The oscillation became more intense and soon the cavern, castle, and entire island began to shake forcefully and with a vengeance.

The emergence of the Ürgod's head into the courtyard coincided with Frega's forces over-running the Scarlet Brothers guarding the front gate to the castle

The emergence of the Ürgod's head into the courtyard coincided with Frega's forces over-running the Scarlet Brothers guarding the front gate to the castle. The wall-tops had been cleared by Pretor Barus' platoon and the attack from within the castle had taken the monks charged with guarding the entrance completely by surprise. They did, however, manage to raise the alarm before they were overwhelmed and even as Frega's force was securing the gate against Brotherhood reinforcements, scarlet-clad troops began to swarm out of the main barracks in response. They ran right into the Deev force which was emerging from the mess-hall.