Captured

Bishop Skaar was bathing when Prester Jauba entered his chamber. The Prester averted his eyes and looked down at the floor waiting for Skaar to acknowledge him. The Bishop took his time. First he dunked his head under the water to rinse the soap off his face, then he rose and exited the tub, walking across the room to where his robe hung. Water ran off him, leaving a dark trail on the stone floor. Jauba stole a glance.
What disgusting creatures these humans are, the sable thought, pink and shiny, with almost no fur.

"You don't care for humans, do you, Prester?" the bishop asked, as though privy to Jauba's thoughts.

The Prester was taken aback, but managed to compose himself.
"I have no thoughts about it one way or another," he lied, "you are human, you are my bishop...and I obey."

"The correct answer, Prester...it does not matter how you feel about my race, only that you obey me in service to Xenophus," he tied off his robe and beckoned Jauba to sit. He walked over and joined him, leaning on the edge of his desk, " It is time to send out the Gleaners...three patrols, one north, one west, and one south...thirty brothers each, fully armed."

Jauba nodded.
"Yes, Bishop. When shall we go?"

"Tomorrow...noon, I think...is that reasonable?"

"I'll see to it, Bishop," Jauba stated. He got up to leave. Skaar raised his hand to stop him.

"You didn't ask why I'm sending them out so late," he said flatly.

"It is your choice, holiness," the sable responded.

Skaar became annoyed and his voice reflected it.
"I'm well aware that it's my choice, Jauba. The reason I made the choice I made is because as soon as dawn has broken, I want you to dispatch a dozen five man squads onto the plateau. Have them remain concealed and pay careful heed to any beasts not of our Brotherhood. The natives have been getting early warning about our Gleaners, hence, there must be spies within sight of the compound...all strange beasts will be captured as supplicants or killed. No beast is to get off this plateau. The hidden squads should notice activity when the Gleaner patrol leaves, that is when they will strike...and that is why the Gleaners are leaving later, so the trap can be properly set...do you understand?"

Jauba thought about what Skaar said. He had to begrudgingly admire the human, it was a smart plan.
"Yes I do, Bishop, I shall make all the necessary preparations."

"Very good Prester," Skaar said walking back to his tub and dropping the robe onto the floor, "now go, I'd like to finish my bath."

After nightfall, Egbert woke his companions at the edge of the plateau

After nightfall, Egbert woke his companions at the edge of the plateau. They made their way carefully to the stand of trees overlooking both the Deev castle and the Scarlet monastery. It was decided that Pretus take the first six-hour watch. Egbert and Max, settled down to some much needed sleep. Max had spent the last few hours taking regular scouting flights over the compound in the event that the Gleaners left before the group made their move to the grove.