Brothers Reprieved

The pirate and Deev vessels were proceeding out of Minga Harbor at a leisurely pace. The large and heavily armed brigantine, the Neure, had been appropriated by the Deev and its crew augmented by beasts from the sunken Ghost of the Seas, the late Captain Greensap's ill-fated vessel. The Flying Fox, once the ship of the murdered Captain Redbush was now under the command of the newly promoted Captain Mauby.

The Deev's original ship, the Windspirit was given to Captain Hogbrow and his crew. One of the Brotherhood ships which had come through the battle unscathed, the Xenos was claimed by Captain Yellowtooth. Captain Tonguescab, having lost his right leg in the battle stayed behind and his crew split between the Neure and the Flying Fox. Of all the vessels of the pirate fleet, only the Crimson Rose and it's crew remained manned as it had been upon its arrival in Minga.

It was decided by the Brethren and the Deev that it would no longer be necessary to hide their purpose from the Scarlet Brotherhood. They would attack upon their arrival on Xenoth in the hope that Vasheron's planned coup would be ready to commence and take its cue from the pirate's assault on Deev Castle and the Brotherhood compound.

Captain Willum Crookfang merely listened during the strategy meetings, offering few suggestions and no objections. Willum decided to play his hand very close to the chest, completely distrusting the Deev and having no illusions about his fellow pirates. He sat in his quarters onboard the Rose, eating lunch and explaining his plans to Wilbur, the Scratchbacks, and Ursamus. Max had volunteered to scout ahead to Xenoth and report back with any news of Brotherhood activity.

The cabin-beast had just begun to serve everyone some soup when Willum laid out his thoughts to his friends.
"First off, let me tells ya how proud I am of you fellers," he smiled at Gella, "and lady...ya done yerselves proud. A finer bunch o' fighters I ain't ever seen. Now, havin' said that, we got a lot harder times ahead. Don't get too comfortable about havin' these corsair and Deev coves watchin' yer backs...ain't a one of them to be trusted. They got their agenda and we got ours and they ain't the same in no fashion whatsoever.

"Them fellow pirates don't give a squid about the Ürgod...don't reckon 'e exists...all they're a worryin' about is getting' back ta piratin'... and the Deev...hell, 'ow do ya figger what a devil really wants? Ya can't, 'ceptin' ta know whatever it is...it ain't gonna be good fer ya," he slammed his open paw onto the table to refocus his thoughts, "anyway, we'll hang with these coves till we kin slip off ta land on Xenoth. We got a time limit...the full moon, they don't give squat about the ceremony, so they might just hang about without doin' nuthin'," he smiled, "it's sad ta say, but us pirates can be right lazy when it suits us. We'll sit around drinkin' and scoffin' till we got no choice but ta do something. Well, the Rose can't wait, we got us an appointment with Azmeritus we need ta keep. With a bit of luck..." he put his arm on Wilbur's shoulder, "that fine uncle of yorn'll be back with help like 'e said 'e would."

"You can count on Egbert!" Wilbur said proudly, "He always keeps his word."

"I believe ya, matey. Anyways, fer now till we moor, we'll just stay alert. I reckon if we keep this pace up we'll make Xenoth in four days. That'll give us only two till that bleached villain Azmeritus wakes up that monster of his, so we won't have no time ta waste. That's about all I got ta tell ya."

He took a spoonful of his soup and his eyes lit up. A huge smile spread across the cat's features and he shouted to the cabin-beast, "Get that food-rustler what made this soup in here now!" Startled, the young rat cabin-beast hurriedly exited the cabin to do what he was told. Everyone at the table stared at Willum with curiosity.

Gella spoke up.
"Is something wrong with the soup? It tastes wonderful."

"Aye," Willum chuckled. The cabin door opened and a familiar disheveled sable stepped in, "And there's the reason why...only Cookie kin make a fine callaloo soup like that and I ain't had a bowl in goin' on five years." Burgle Tootspin smiled. He'd always liked being called 'Cookie'.