In the dark of night, unseen by any, a long twelve beast rowboat with muffled oars eased through the shield below the Deev Castle on Xenoth and tied up on the rocks. The twelve scarlet clad beasts quickly made for the carved stone stairs leading up to the fortress. After a steep climb, they arrived at a small wooden door carved into the massive stone fortress. They knocked loudly. A sentry opened the door and the twelve oarsbeasts were escorted to the main building where they waited for their master.

Azmeritus was sleeping soundly on the planked floor next to the bed in his chamber when the pounding on his door wakened him. He stood, shaking the sleep out of his body. The mongoose donned his robe and opened the portal.

Bishop Skaar stood waiting in the hall.

"Your eminence," he said, " the brothers from the mainland have arrived."

"Take me to them," Azmeritus instructed.

The dozen new arrivals snapped to attention at the high priest's entrance. They were from the six secret cloisters which the Scarlet Brotherhood maintained along the western coast of the continent from Minga to Port Saud. Azmeritus had given instructions for his acolytes to spy on the Deev's missions and to inform him at regular intervals of their progress.

"Give me your reports," Azmeritus said quietly.

The spokesbeast for the dozen stepped forward and spoke.
"Holiness, we have much to report. The Deev have secured the Abitar and the Rubitar and Arisha has been neutralized..."

"She is dead?" The mongoose asked.

"We do not know, but she may possibly still live. The mountain is being guarded by mole-troops. It is either for the purpose of guarding the mountain or Arisha. If the spider were dead and the Abitar missing, we feel that there would be no reason to guard it, so we suspect she still lives, but she must be severely injured or incapacitated at the least. If she were healthy, no guards would be required."

"Very well, not perfect, but acceptable....and the wizards?"

"Seven are dead."

A smile crept onto the mongoose's face.
"Excellent, they will no longer be able to weave the spells which could threaten us. Where are the relics now?"

"The Rubitar is in Seth-e-Raman awaiting Vasheron and the Abitar is in possession of the Prince. Our brothers in Seth-e have discovered nothing concerning the prophecies or Neure, though we know the Deev are pursuing them."

"Have there been any setbacks or unexpected events?"

The brother was momentarily silent, then answered in a measured voice.
"It was as you warned, your eminence, Vasheron has set plans into motion to betray you. He is recruiting a force of brigands and ships in Minga to attack us."

To the surprise of the gathered monks, Azmeritus let out a chuckle.
"So predictable. How many have joined him?"

"Nearly three hundred, eminence."

Azmeritus paced in front of his breathren for a while, thinking. When he had made his decision, he stopped in front of the column and spoke in a calm level voice.
"Go back to your cloisters and instruct our brothers to come home to Xenoth...all of them...abandon our mainland homes...get our red sail galleons ready for war...how many ships are at our disposal?"

"Twenty, your holiness, each will hold one hundred-fifty men and beasts, our entire Brotherhood on Arishamal along the coast. There are a few additional ships harbored at World's End to support our sanctuary there."

"Very good. Have half a dozen of them lay in wait around Minga and the remainder patrol here around Xenoth. Do not be shy. Use our blood-red sails, let them know our might. Do not make a move unless Vasheron's pirates make to attack Xenoth, if they do...destroy them...no prisoners, otherwise, bide your time. We must be careful, the relics will be transported to us on a ship or ships and we do not wish to send the Rubitar or Abitar to the bottom of the sea."

"Yes, eminence, we will do as you command, praise Xenophus."

"Go now with Bishop Skaar, he will distribute potions to your oarsbeasts so you may return through the shield to Arishamal. Go quickly, convey my commands, and remain diligent. If there is any other news, let me know immediately."

"As you command," the head oarbeast acknowledged.

Slightly before dawn, the long rowboat eased back through the shield on its way to muster the Scarlet Brotherhood to war

Slightly before dawn, the long rowboat eased back through the shield on its way to muster the Scarlet Brotherhood to war. Azmeritus returned to his chamber and returned to a peaceful satisfied sleep. Soon, he thought, a lifetime of devotion would be rewarded. The prophecies were being fulfilled in rapid succession now, like falling dominoes. It was only a matter of time.