Resplendence

Resplendence; splendid or dazzling in appearance.

C H A P T E R    F I F T Y - S E V E N

Noah entered the cafe and took a seat next to me, dropping his bag on the side while everyone else greeted him, and he returned the greetings putting up a smile on his face. I turned to him with a small smile. 

"Hey," he whispered, kissing me softly on my temple.

"You alright?" I asked, and he nodded in response, but I knew that was far from the truth.

He entwined his hand with mine and was about to say something to me, but Scarlett beat him to it. "Hey, Noah, would you take a bullet for Sydney?" she asked, extending the topic if the conversation all of us were having before Noah got here, and I shook my head at her. She had asked this question to every one of us and she clearly wasn't going to let Noah be an exception.

"What? Where is this coming from? Noah exclaimed, making a gesture with his hand.

"Just answer the question," Scarlett told him in return.

Matt gave out a light chuckle. "Do you even need to ask this guy? It's so obvious he would."

I smiled to myself because I knew Noah was too different to go for such a conventional answer. "No," Noah said, and my smile grew.

"What? You wouldn't?" Jay blurted, his face revealing equal shock as on everyone else's face.

"Why are you smiling? He just said no," Scar looked at me, and I gave her a look, and Noah turned to look at me, mirroring my smile.

"Just let him speak, and you'll know," I replied. I had no idea what his reason behind saying no was, but I knew it would be so excellent that he would win this argument no matter what.

"So what? You want me to save her life by giving up mine? There's no way I'm doing that!" Noah said as if stating the obvious, furrowing his seemingly perfect shaped brows.

"You don't love her enough to do that?" Jay said, challengingly but still keeping his voice minimal as if he was scared to utter those words in front of his best friend.

"What's the point of me sacrificing my life to let her live hers when I'm not going to be in it? How does it make it sense for me to die and leave her behind to wallow in sorrow and misery of losing me? All it proves is that I was too much of a coward to live my life without her, so instead, I gave up my life and let her face something I was scared to," Noah scoffed lightly, presenting his point flawlessly.

"But, I mean, she is going to move on after sufficient time and find love again. It's not like she's going to be sad forever," Matt shrugged his shoulders lightly.

"So you're saying I should give up my life just so all the things I had planned to do with her, she could do them with another guy?" Noah asked bewildered. "Would it in any way bring you any joy or peace to see your lover with someone else?"

"What if she's happy with that other person? Even then, you wouldn't want that for her?" Scarlett questioned.

"No. I love Sydney with everything that I have, but I'm too selfish to let her go. She would never be able to be as happy with anyone else as she is with me, I can take responsibility for that because I know my love is strong and enough for that," Noah completed. My heart was too busy being in awe of him to comprehend anything, and my mid after embracing everything he had just said was busy being in awe of him.

"No love is ever selfish," Ally added, and Noah acknowledged it affirmatively.

"You're right, it's the purest thing, but it makes you selfish. It makes you realize the true value and power the people you love hold over your life and how miserable you'd be without them and what lengths you would be willing to cross to make sure they're in your life. I've already almost lost my girl once and I'll be damned if I don't do everything I can to make sure that does not happen again," Noah shrugged his shoulders lightly and I knew that no matter what, this boy would always have my heart.