Limerance

Limerance; the state of being infatuated with another person.

C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N

Ice replaced my spine as I acknowledged that I was in the same room that I had lost my elder sister in. The white lights stuck to the ceiling seemed so dim as if their presence made no difference. The atmosphere in the room was of nothing but gloom. I noticed Cassie lying on the hospital bed in the typical blue gown. The eyes on her pale face were closed for good and both of her hands were positioned above her stomach. She seemed so weak and fragile that it killed me to see my once 'lively and absolutely life-loving' sister in this state. Turns out, it wasn't just me who felt like that.

"Why would you not inform me, Sydney?" I saw my mom standing next to Cassie's bed, quietly weeping and moving her hand back and forth on her daughter's forehead.

My hands shook uncontrollably as my mom walked towards me. Rage masking every inch of her face. "Look what you did, Sydney. Only if you were a little early in telling me, Cassie would still be alive. This is all because of you. I lost my little girl because of you. You killed her," she caught my shoulders with the tightest grip.

The tears from both our eyes were flowing endlessly. "Mom...No, no you've to believe me. I didn't--" just as I spoke up, I heard another very unexpected voice from the back.

"Mom's right, Syd. If you weren't late, I'd still have my twin with me. Why? Why would you do this?" Chris stood there and kept a hand on my mom's shoulder to steady her. His eyes screamed that he had neither slept nor stopped crying.

The words of defense I had found the guts to utter, died right in my throat as my mind registered his words. My heart completely broke after hearing those words of accusation from the one person who I thought would never say that. Both of them stood next to Cassie's bed. The words 'You killed her' and 'I lost my twin because of you' didn't seem to leave my head at any cost. They kept ringing in my head over and over again until I fell on the floor, defeated and mourning with my head in my hands.

When I lifted my head, I found myself in a dark setting instead of the depressed hospital room. The moonlight cast a ghoulish glow on the roofless room. The walls of the room showed the presence of former paint. I cringed at every creak of the door which opened to reveal someone whose image wasn't clearly formed on my retina due to all the tears. Once my vision got more evident, I recognized him to be a guy who was nothing but unwanted. The bright blue streak in his jet-black hair and the dozens of vintage bracelet covering his left arm seemed all too familiar.

I shakily got up as I saw him walk toward him with a pocket knife in his hand. My feet worked backward and stopped when they hit the wall, beginning a fear in me. The guy's mouth was busy in chewing what looked like five packs of gum, and he bit his lower lip when he saw me. I exhaled deep breaths as no words came out and signalled him not to come any closer. I fell against and wall, and he bent down and kept his elbows on his knees with his butt almost touching the rusty floor. A powerful yeasty beer stench was exuding from him.

"Long time, babe. Where you been, Sydney? You know, I've missed you," his stentorian voice rang in the roofless room, clearly mocking me. He had a ridiculous smile, his gray eyes never leaving my face.

"Get away from me!" I yelled, pushing him away.

"Oh no, Sydney. I'm not going away! That's not happening," he said as the tip of his knife traced the corners of my face.

I knew what was coming after this and I couldn't bear going through it once more. I struggled to push him away just like the first time, but my efforts were equal to zilch against his built. Before that incident continued, my surroundings glitched, and I was back at the dim hospital room where my mom and Chris were pointing fingers and shouting accusations at me. The very next second I found myself in the same room trying to escape the hold of the guy who was forcing himself on me. My surroundings kept shifting in intervals of ten seconds.