Allure

Allure; the quality of being powerfully and mysteriously attractive or fascinating.

C H A P T E R    F O U R T Y - F I V E 

The only successful event that had taken place over the two past weeks was that our semester exams had finally come to an end. Throughout these two weeks, Sydney had taken a vow to avoid everything that distracts her, and she claimed that I topped that list so the only times I saw her were a few minutes of spare time that was mutual in our day which we spent at the cafe or I would run into her in the library. Sydney was very strict about exams because her career was her priority, and she was a pure devotee of hard work and determination. It was one of the few things I admired her most for. 

It sucked not being able to talk to her properly, and I don't care how naive it sounded, but I missed her. Every time I saw, she looked so exhausted I just wanted to catch ahold of her shoulders and tell her not to overwork herself, but the moment she caught a glimpse of me, a beautiful smile graced her face, driving out all the fatigue and I didn't have it in me to do anything to disturb that smile. It boosted my pride to great heights when I saw that I was the only one who had the ability to bring that smile on her face.

But I could hang out with her now without any stress governing both of us since we were done with exams for now. We had a two-week break starting from next week before the next semester commenced, and I could not be more exhilarated about it. I had extra practice because the coach considered it necessary. I walked towards the cafe after my practice got over because I was dead tired, and I could really use one of Steph's muffins and mostly because I knew I would find Sydney there, and I hadn't seen her since the morning after we wrote our last exam. 

I saw Ally, Chase, Scar, and Jordan already standing outside the cafe. "Hey guys," I greeted them and saw that Tyler was also present. We were talking about the upcoming final match, and I zoned out when I saw Sydney running towards me. Her face had never contained as much excitement as it did now. She came closer, and before I could utter a word, she put her arms around me, capturing me in a tight hug. I could feel her catching her breath as she blew out little puffs of air on the skin at the nape of my neck — her small frame fitting to mine, perfectly as if it was meant to be this way. I reciprocated the action with the same intensity as hers after an interval of a few seconds.

"I don't know what the hell happened, but if I get greeted this way, I sure do hope it happens every day," I whispered in her ear, and she chuckled.

"I got the internship," she said, breaking the intimate embrace, wanting to see my reaction for this. 

I picked her up and twirled her around, and she giggled as I caught her off guard. "Holy shit, babe! That's so amazing! I'm so proud of you!"

"And you got yours too, but that was pretty obvious, so," she shrugged. "Congratulations, my boy," she said, placing a sweet but quick peck on my cheek as I put her down.

Ally stole her from my hold as she congratulated her, and so did everyone else, then moving towards me. 

"Congratulations, my bro, you did it," Jordan said, pulling Sydney and not me in for a hug after they did the weird dance move that they always did. He then hugged me, saying that it was no surprise that I bagged an internship. After everyone was done with their wishing, they dispersed to carry on with their routine, and it was just me, Scar, Jordan, Sydney who were left. So, I naturally assumed that we were going back to the apartment, as always, but Scar pulled Sydney on the side and whispered something in her ear, after which Sydney squealed.

I didn't bother asking them what it was about since this was a very regular happening. "In the mood for a walk?" Sydney asked, dragging me along as Scar and Jordan both left.