Naz

Naz (Urdu); the pride you feel from being loved.

C H A P T E R    F I F T Y - S I X 

Sydney's POV

"Say...say that again?" he stammered, disbelievingly.

"Say what again? That I'm in love with you?" I teased, furrowing my eyebrows a little bit while his hand shot up to cover his mouth in sheer skepticism.

"You're being 100% serious, right? I swear if this is some dumbass joke, I'm going to dump you so bad," he said, and I tightened my grip on his hand as I laughed.

"No, I promise, it's not. I really do, and I was coming over to say that to you, but I met Sebastian when I went to get your muffin and then.." I shrugged lightly, knowing he would fill in the blank.

"I swear, I'm never eating a muffin in my life from now!" Noah exclaimed. "But you really do? You're not just simply saying it?"

He brought my hand to his lips and placed a lingering kiss as I nodded. "Noah, I would never say anything like that unless I completely mean it and I do, I love you, I love you so much."

Noah's eyes lit up with gratitude, the light in the room hitting his eyes, making their shade warmer than ever. His eyes seemed like they lived in their own world, an extraordinary world they had created, away from this mundane one. He didn't speak a word for a few moments, his eyes were closed, and my hand was clasped in his. The instant I felt something wet hit my hand, I started crying as well. 

"Sydney, you've no idea how scared I was, every time someone walked out of your room, my heart was beating out of my chest. I was so lost for the past twenty-four hours; I felt so foreign and so so alone. It was hell, Sydney, you can never put me through that again, you cannot," he said, shaking his head. His eyes were bloodshot, tears spilling out of them endlessly.

"You can't resort to pills, Syd, you have to share. You can't ignore your problems; you have to open up, if anything like this happens again, I-" I cut him off before he could finish.

"I promise, it won't, okay? I'll give up the pills, and I'll try my best to share how much ever I can. It won't happen again," I assured him, and he nodded in agreement. Before I could proceed to speak again, a small but bright and shiny pendant that rested on Noah's neck caught my eye. It was a cross. My heart halted when I realized why it was hanging on his neck.

"You went to church?" I asked, taking the silver pendant in my hand.

He wiped his tears and gave out a light chuckle. "Oh, yeah. I love your dumbass so much that I didn't want to take any chances. I took all the help I could get, from wherever I could get it."

"Noah, that's...the fact that you actually did it even though you're so repulsed by it, I can't, you're so thoughtful," I praised him, and the tears in my eyes were back at it again. They should declare it as National Crying Day, that's how much I had cried today.

I was awestruck at what my destiny had managed to put in my life. This boy in front of me was the most compassionate and beautiful person I had ever come across. He was so effortless in making things right; it seemed like he had made that his superpower. I looked at him, and an instant smile spread on his face as his eyes met mine, and the jolts of electricity shot up in my body. The warmth, the radiance, the color simply returned back to my life. My heart was filled with an immense amount of gratitude and respect towards him, but most importantly, love. None of this felt alien; in fact, it was the most real thing I had ever felt. Everything about Noah felt like home.

"It's not a big deal, you'd be surprised if you knew how many lengths I am willing to cross when it comes to your safety," he smiled genuinely and once again, rendered me speechless. "And you'd think that I would be the one realizing stuff because I was losing you, and yet, it was the other way around," he said, chuckling faintly.