Knavery

Knavery; a roguish or mischievous act.

C H A P T E R    E I G H T

I was drilling every particle on the ground that associated itself with the heel of my boots, simultaneously making my way towards Noah's apartment. The sunlight was being no help at all, blazing right into my eyes. I wanted to run back to my room, crawl into my bed and never wake up because these days it was the only place not disappointing me.

I arrived and before I could enter the building, I saw Noah, walking out holding a leather jacket over his shoulders, a light smile took the place of his usual frown. He greeted the watchman with that light smile and a two-finger salute.

See? That's how easy it was, to be civil with the people around you. Yet, he failed to grasp that concept when it was me who was around him.

His deep voice pulled me out of my thoughts. "Seriously? Here also? You do know it's a family thing yeah?"

"I'm well aware. But this time, I am not barging in. I have an official invite," I said, smiling brightly at him.

"Does grams even know who you are?" he appeared confused.

"Apparently so. And Scar would happily take all the credits for that particular action."

"Ah! Of course, I am sure half the family knows you're her roommate by now," he chuckled.

"I tried to convince your grandma.."

"But she's ten times more stubborn than Scar is and if there's one thing she loves, it's calling people over for meals."

I couldn't bother responding to that because of the object that caught my presence mercilessly. It was a few feet behind Noah and my eyes widened. I couldn't speak as the element of surprise had held all my words.

The motorcycle present before me was what I believed to be one of the most gorgeous things in the world. My fascination with bikes was crazy and never-ending. It was black colored with absolutely no speck of dirt on it except the microscopic particles of the air. The way it was parked, it looked stunning. The sunlight was reflecting itself on my face with the help of the convex mirror installed on it.

"Is that a Harley Davidson Dyna Streetbob?"

Noah couldn't believe his ears. "You know what it's called?"

"Hey! I don't live under a rock, of course, I know what it's called!" I stated the obvious.

The shock had hit him as well so I continued. "Do you know who it belongs to?"

I desperately hoped he'd know. Instead of answering me, he walked towards me, put his hand in the pocket of his skinny jeans that he never seemed to take off and twirled the keys around his index finger. The logo on the key rendered me speechless while he threw me a quick grin.

"You own this precious thing?" I could not believe this and I couldn't be happier that Scar had to leave early.

He merely chuckled at my excitement.

"Chris wanted a Harley Davidson so badly in high school and every time dad came close to agreeing he screwed up," a broad smile made a way to my face as I remembered those times.

"Who is Chris?" I heard him ask me from behind.

"My older brother," I replied. "Christ, I still can't believe you actually own this! Also, don't you live in New Jersey?"

"No, I was born and brought up here but after mom passed away I moved to Jersey and grams made sure I spent my summers here. Until she felt like I should spend the last year of high school with dad so she made me move back here. I know, it's very complicated."