Ephemeral

Ephemeral; lasting for a very short time; fleeting.

C H A P T E R     F I F T Y - T W O 

"What the hell did you just say?" I said, exhaling a deep breath and raising my hand disbelievingly.

"That....it wasn't supposed to come out like that," he said, swallowing a lump. "I was meant to talk to you about it, I'm sorry," he apologized.

"Well, then let's do that. Yes, I was abused, sexually," I clenched my jaw, dug my nails into my palm to stop myself breaking down right there. "But it wasn't Gavin, it was someone else and if Gavin wouldn't have come there at the right moment, then," I stopped mid-sentence, knowing he would fill in the rest.

"Noah, Gavin wouldn't attempt to even think about doing something like that, he was the one who rescued me," I said, not being able to hold in tears anymore as Noah put his arms around my small frame and I refused his hold. "So, the next time something like this happens, tell your close friend to get her fucking facts right before going around and telling people the most intimate details about my life."

"That's why you get nightmares," he realized, and he looked so broken as the realization dawned upon him, and I nodded slightly. "Why didn't you tell me any of this, Sydney?"

"Tiffany didn't have any bloody right to do that to me. This isn't her area to interfere, I know she cares about you and shit tell her to stay the fuck away from my life. I told you, Noah, I would tell you when I was ready."

"And when was that going to be? Oh my god, Sydney, this is just...you never talk to me about anything, how am I expected to know all this?" he yelled, the volume of his voice making me shudder.

"I do talk to you about everything; you know everything that happened with Cassie. I tell you each and everything about my day," I said, defending myself. 

He stifled out a laugh, heaving a sigh and gazing at me. "Sydney, I meet you in intervals of two hours, I already know how your day goes, I'm talking about the problems that you're facing, and how you just neglect them, you're supposed to tell me all that and I'm supposed to help you get through all that."

"I'm not facing any problems, and I don't need your help with anything, I'm completely fine," I firmly stated, gritting my teeth.

"Come on, Sydney, everyone in the world is facing problems, there's no one who isn't and stop bullshitting me, you're not fine, and you know it, just because you ask someone for help doesn't mean you're not strong," he snapped, and my heartbeat raced.

I closed my eyes as the argument grew alarmedly heated. "I know that, and I'm not bullshitting you, I would ask for your help if I needed it, but I don't, I told you, I'm completely fine!"

"Really? You're completely fine? Is that why you wake up in the middle of the night, screaming and sweating so profusely and looking so tortured like you narrowly escaped death? Is that why you look like you've slept for barely two hours in the morning whenever you don't sleepover over here? Is that why you're taking anti-depressant pills like they're candy because you're so goddamn fine?" he shouted, and I flinched, taking a step back.

I caught the side of the couch as my hands shook uncontrollably. Tears rained out of my eyes, and at this point, it was the last night that mattered to me. "You had no right to go through my things without letting me know," I told him, stating it as completely unacceptable that he would do something like that.

"I'm not that inconsiderate. I would never go through your things without telling you, your bag was open, and the bottle of pills fell out, and you were in the shower," he said, providing an excuse. "I have been seeing you torture yourself like that, by keeping it all in, I didn't talk to you about it because I know how much you hate talking about this, but I thought that eventually, you would open and tell me."