Oblivion

Oblivion; the state of being unaware of what's happening around you.

C H A P T E R     F O U R T Y  - S I X 

Still Noah's POV

I loved her.

And it was the most immeasurable feeling in the world. I always imagined that this is the part that would be hard, but it turns out, this was the best part. It's that something you've wanted all your life. It's been two days, forty-eight hours, just forty-eight hours since I realized that I love her, and every time I see her, I think I fall a little bit more in love.

It brought me so much joy that sometimes I seriously thought I was going to explode, but as much delight as it was to realize that I finally found my person, it was nerve-wracking too. Not because I thought that she wouldn't alternate what I felt for her, that was her choice. It was the fact that she had become such a massive part of my life; in fact, my life itself that she had procured the position of both my strength and weakness. 

Strength. Because, when I had her by my side, I felt like I could conquer the world and weakness because she made me vulnerable. I had never given someone so much importance as her. Before her, I didn't have any physical infirmity that I could showcase to the world to be used against me, so I didn't have anything to worry about because the source of my happiness was my work and my interests, but now that had changed.

But now, there was someone who I was willing to fight for until my last breath. And if anything happened to her, I don't know what I would do. She was my entire fuckin' world, and the fact that there was a possibility that I could lose her was messing with me because my luck was very miserable in those terms. I had lost everyone in my life that I ever loved. I shuddered; it was terrifying, even thinking about it. 

I was sitting on the benches in the football field, and I saw Sydney coming towards me, and a smile entered my face, almost as if it was a knee-jerk reaction on seeing her.

"Hi, baby," she whispered, catching ahold of my chin and kissing me.

Be still, my little heart.

"You're in an awfully good mood," I said, as she seated herself on my lap.

"Well, why wouldn't I be? You're turning twenty in two days," she smiled incessantly while saying that.

Right. I hadn't forgotten that, but I really wished it wouldn't come up. I sighed and gave her a look. "Let's please not make that out to be a big deal, okay?"

"Hey, you know me! I'm not the one for big gestures," she told me, shrugging her shoulders lightly and taking a sip of her coffee. 

I adjusted the red scarf she was wearing with her trench coat. "I really hope that's true," I muttered. Sydney wasn't the type of person for big gestures, it was true, but I had a slight doubt that my birthday wasn't gonna be one of those times when that is proven right.

After a little while of talking, both of us stood up, and Sydney entwined our hands, which I gladly accepted. Man, how much I yearned just to stop her right there and just tell her, but I knew I wanted to do it right. Though, I did want to tell someone and get it out of me. Normally, I wouldn't act so impatient, but it was killing me not to share this with someone, so I made a mental note that I would talk to Scarlett once my class got over.

I went to their dorm room to talk to Scarlett in the evening after my classes were over. I opened the door and saw Scarlett arranging her clothes in the small non-existent space that they called their closet.

"Hey, Scar, I need your help," I told her. She stopped doing whatever she was and picked up the bottle of water that was standing on their dressing table and sighed after taking a sip.