Chapter 35 - [Best Friends]

Life couldn’t take it anymore. If there was one thing that she wasn’t… that would be a person who kept her questions to herself. So she did what she had to do and went straight to Master Red.

     “You have some explaining to do.” She said to him when she arrived at the hideout.

     Master Red was not insulted by her lack of respect.

     After all, this woman was older then him. And she was both trustworthy and reliable. It didn’t really matter if she wasn’t that respectful.

     “What’s wrong?”
     “You told the new king that you would get rid of Avaryn,” she said. She took off her mask, revealing her beautiful yet aging face. People couldn’t really tell, simply because she was such a lovely woman with her long, silky black hair and defined, strong brown eyes.

     But Master Red could see the fine lines of age forming on her face as she glared at him.

     “So?” Mast Red asked.

     “Avaryn is one of us. You cannot be serious about abandoning him,” Life said, “You haven’t explained it to me and I cannot just sit here and wait for you to cut ties with him. He has done a lot for this team and I­–”

     “Relax, Life.” Master Red said. “All I said was I would remove him from the Hidden­–”

     “Exactly,” Life said, “how could you?”

     “Removing him from our team does not necessarily mean we will stop working with him. He will still be a warrior and he will still help us. He just wont be a part of the Hidden.”

     Life was completely and utterly annoyed with his play on words. And she showed it. She rolled her eyes and let out a grunt of annoyance. “I can’t believe you’re trying to deceive the King. I thought you wanted to work with him.”

     Master Red smiled, but decided he had no need to discuss his intentions with her. “So? Did you follow Meenu?”

     “Yes,” Life said, “and you were right.”

     Just then, almost perfectly on time, Avaryn entered the room. He bowed, giving Master Red the respect that Life refused to give him. And he nodded his head respectfully at Life.

     When Avaryn looked at Master Red, he spoke. “The King of Destyn is–”

     “I’d keep an eye on your lover,” Life interrupted.

     Avaryn looked at her, confusion in his red eyes. “What’s wrong?” He really felt rather crippled by the fact that he couldn’t sense when Meenu was in trouble anymore. He often felt the urge to rip his evil out of him again… but he knew that that was a bad idea.

     “She’s spilling your secrets to the new King.” Master Red said.

     Avaryn looked at him with wide eyes. “What?”

     “I think she means well though,” Life said, crossing her arms, “I think she wants you two to be best friends again.”

     “You’re following her?” He asked.

     “Orders from the Master,” Life said, jerking her chin at Master Red.

     Avaryn looked at Master Red, who kept a straight face. “For her protection, of course.”

     “I don’t think that’s what’s important,” Life sighed, “It’s probably too late now by maybe you should make sure she doesn’t do something like this again.”