Chapter 27 - [Disgusting Witch]

Meenu was fairly confident that her father was still with the mayor, discussing the recent events and what they were going to do next. If handled incorrectly, the entire future of Amberdyse could be a disaster.

     On top of all of this, the Mayor probably knew well of Master Red’s plan to overthrow Dukaryn. And now he knew that Avaryn was in the picture.

     Part of Meenu felt bad for the middle-aged man since there was just so much for him to do now. But another part of her didn’t worry too much. He was a good mayor.

     When she arrived at his office, she realized her assumptions were right when she saw her father working closely with the mayor on something that Meenu would probably not understand.

     “Papa?” She called, since he was so deep in his work that he didn’t notice her enter.

     Both Lord Kyrus and the Mayor looked up. “Meenu,” her father smiled at her. “How are you?”

     She walked over to the desk they were standing at. “Well, I guess. But I have to talk to you about something.”

     He looked at the mayor, who nodded his head. “What is it?” He asked when he looked back at her.

     “All the people in Amberdyse that Avaryn killed… who were they exactly?”

     Lord Kyrus hesitated. “Meenu…”

     She realized that her father probably thought that she was still upset about finding out the truth about Avaryn. “Don’t worry, papa. I’m fine. I spoke with him and we figured things out.”

     The Mayors eyes widened. “You spoke with him?”

     She nodded.

     “Did he tell you anything about the night?”

     Meenu smiled sadly. “Nothing we didn’t already know,” she lied. “So tell me, papa, who were the people killed?”

     “The Knights of Amberdyse.” Her father said, but only after a hesitation. “We had heard the news of Avaryn’s attack and assembled to fend Amberdyse.”

     “Only knights?”

     Another hesitation. “Yes.”

     “Were all the knights that attacked killed?”

     “No.” Lord Kyrus said.

     “In fact, our town suffered the least amount of casualties. Most of the knights that were killed here were just in the village for personal reasons,” they Mayor added. “Only about twelve of our own knights were killed, to be precise. The rest were from other parts of Raffyre.”

     “Do you remember the twelve Amberdysian knights that were killed?”

     “Why are you asking this, Meenu?” Her father asked.

     “I’m just trying to figure things out.”

     The Mayor looked at her. “They were all persecuted by King Kyryn.”

     Lord Kyrus looked shocked by that. “Were they?”

     Meenu looked back at the Mayor.

     “I’ve had this theory,” he started. “And from the questions you are asking… I seem to believe that you know this theory, or Avaryn did tell you the truth.”

     The girl hesitated.

     She knew the Mayor was smart.

     Lord Kyrus looked from Meenu, to the Mayor. “Pardon me but I don’t seem to be on the same page as the two of you.”