Chapter 6 - [The Intruder]

Meenu’s mother hugged her tightly the morning before her departure. They were standing right outside Meenu’s large home, with a carriage waiting in front of it. “This is the first time you’re leaving to a different place alone…” Lady Kyrus said to her daughter with a smile.

  Meenu smiled back, trying to hide her nervousness. “Yep.”

  Lady Kyrus began to tear up.

  “It’s only for a week, my love.” Lord Kyrus said as he handed Meenu’s bag to one of the knight’s. “She’ll be back before you know it.”

  Meenu kept smiling. “Um… are you sure I can’t take Knight with me?” She looked over at Knight, who was being held back by two of capitals’ strongest knights. Her wolf knew that Meenu was leaving and he didn’t want to let her go without him. He tried as hard as he could to escape from the grasp of the two men, wanting to rip them into pieces but knowing he couldn’t.

  Her father shook his head. “They do not allow animals inside the castle. Even if you took him, he’d be tied up outside all day and you wouldn’t see him anyways. Plus, none of the folk over there would be too happy to see a wolf.” Her father said. “It’s better if Knight stays here.”

  Meenu sighed. “Alright.”

  Her father pulled Meenu into a hug right then and kissed her forehead. “Don’t be nervous, darling. You’ll be fine.”

  Meenu chuckled. “Is it that obvious?”

  Her father smiled at her. “Everything will be okay.”

  “Are you ready?” The King asked as he walked over to them.

  Meenu was suddenly very nervous again. She nodded hesitantly and the King smiled. “Then we should head out.”

  The King held his arm out for Meenu, but Meenu hesitated. “One second.” She said. She then ran over to her wolf and kneeled down in front of him. “Let him go.” She said to the two Knights that struggled to hold him.

  The two knights looked at each other. Both of them were wearing their full armor, as they were frightened by the wolf, so Meenu couldn’t really see who they were. It didn’t matter though, she probably didn’t even know them anyways.

  But after a moment, the men dropped the chains and Knight barked, leaping forward into Meenu’s arms.

  Meenu chuckled and hugged him tightly, shocking the two Knights.

  They were embarrassed to be afraid of the wolf when this girl was not at all frightened by him.           

  “I’ll be back soon.” Meenu said as she pulled away and kissed her wolf’s nose. “Just wait patiently for me, okay?”

  Knight whined and dropped his head, looking up at her with sad eyes.

  Meenu smiled and kissed him once more. “Be a good boy.” She said as she stood up.

  Knight stopped fighting when the Capital’s knights lifted the chains again, but continued to whine when Meenu walked off.

  Meenu’s heart sank as she waved at her wolf.

  But then the King linked arms with her and bowed his head at Lord Kyrus. “I will be seeing you again soon.”

  “Take good care of my daughter.” Lord Kyrus said as Meenu’s emotional mother choked back her tears.

  “Of course.”

  Meenu waved at her parents once more as the King led her to the lovely carriage. It was large, golden, covered in jewels and made to fit four people. Meenu had never rode in one of these before, so she was a little excited… but Alissa had told her multiple times that it was such a bore. She explained that riding a horse was much more fun.