Chapter 24 - [New Mission]

Seeing Blood’s face made Dukaryn drop his guard for just a second. And that second was long enough for Blood to get Meenu out of his hands.

     But Dukaryn didn’t seem to care about her anymore.

     He stared at Blood, eyes wide. “You really are still alive.” He said. “Avaryn.”

     Blood’s eye twitched when Dukaryn said that. It had been a while since someone had looked him in the eye and called him that.

     Seliaryn just stared at the man in shock.

     There was no way.

     There was no way this man was Avaryn.

     He had his face, yes…

     But everything else…

     His voice, his fighting style… everything…

     Had he trained himself to change all of that? To make him seem like a different person?

     But how?

     People stared in silence at the man, trying to make sense of what was going on.

     But then, Master Red spoke. “If you think about it hard enough, the memories will return.” He said

     They all looked at him, before following his gaze to Meenu.

     “That was the weakness of the memory spell.” He continued. “The memories were not protected by a stone wall with a golden key. They were protected by a house of sticks. Hit it hard enough and it will come crashing down. Am I right, Meenu?”

     And just after he said that, Meenu pushed herself out of Blood’s arms.

     She collapsed onto the floor and threw her hands onto her head, crying.

     Seliaryn’s hearts dropped.

     A house of sticks?

     Had her memories of Avaryn returned?

     Blood knelt down next to her. “Meenu…” When he reached out to touch her, she hit his hand away.

     “Stop.” She whispered, crying. After a moment, she continued. “I don’t understand…” She looked at him, blinking away the tears.

     Blood stood up and stepped away from her, knowing what was coming.

     “How could you?” Meenu asked.

     He narrowed his eyes.

     “How could you kill all those people?” She yelled.

     Dukaryn had had enough. “So what?” He yelled. “You’re Avaryn! Do you expect me to be scared?”

     Blood’s hands balled up into fists. “I do.” He said, turning to face him. “And I expect you to leave. Leave now before I get angrier.”

     Dukaryn snorted. “Yeah, right! I’m not–”

     “Dukaryn!” Seliaryn called. “That’s enough.”

     The King looked at the knight in shock.

     Seliaryn ignored this and turned to the other knights.

     As he did though, he saw a few of the other warriors, frozen in shock as they stared at their companion, Blood. It was clear that they too didn’t know his secret.