Chapter 2 - [The Noble Friend]

Lord Din paced in the office of the Mayor, grinding his teeth together in anger. The young Lord Din, only thirty-three years of age, was very angry. Angry and embarrassed because of what that stupid Meenu had done.

  “What exactly seems to be the problem?” The Mayor asked.

  The Mayor, unlike Lord Din, was a very calm man. Fifty-six years of life made him wise and able to tolerate people like Lord Din and even Meenu.

  Though he was old, he didn’t really look it. He was somewhat short, definitely shorter then Lord Din, but not too short. He was a little rounder then most men, but definitely not fat. His hair covered his whole head and was still blonde, but much of it was fading into a grey colour. He was also gaining a few wrinkles around his eyes.

  Mayor Gryre only owned waistcoats, breeches, top hats and pocket watches. He was highly sophisticated and very educated and that showed quite well in his outfits. And though he was very smart, he was not at all good with a sword or a bow and arrow. However, when he needed to, he could pick up a sword, as he had done years past, as a young man.

  “Well, Lord Din?” The Mayor asked. “You look more troubled then you need to be.”

   “She attacked Blood!” Lord Din yelled as he stood up. “Do you know what that could have cost us?”

  The Mayor looked up from his papers and at Lord Din, a little bit annoyed with his constant complaints. “She’s a child.” He said. “Children do foolish things.”

  Lord Din scoffed. “So you don’t see the problem with her attacking Blood?”

  “I didn’t say that.”

  “Besides, she isn’t a child!” He said. “She’s turning eighteen very soon. That’s well past the age of womanhood.”

  “A girl will not be a true woman until she is married.” The Mayor said.

  “Well that girl needs to get married soon.” Lord Din said. “It’s unfortunate for all of us that no one is willing to take her as a bride. Not that I blame them.”

  “That is enough, Lord Din.” The mayor said, adjusting his eyeglasses. “I will not have you speaking like that about a decent young woman.”

  “Decent?” Lord Din asked, snorting. “She is anything but that.”

  “My Lord.” The Mayor called, a little harshly. “She is a pure girl. She may be mischievous but that does not make her any less of a decent girl.”

  Lord Din looked at the Mayor. “What will you do about this, Mayor? Will you let Blood get angry?”

  The Mayor sighed, looking back down at his papers. “I will speak to Blood and ask him to forgive her for her actions.”

  “And will you speak to her?”

  “Yes, Lord Din.” The Mayor said. “I will talk to Meenu as well.”

  “Good.” Lord Din finally looked satisfied. “Put the unlucky brat in her place.”

  Meenu knocked hard on her door and groaned. “Mother! Let me out!” She yelled. Knight howled after she spoke.

  “Not until you acknowledge what you have done wrong.” Her mother said from the other side of the door.

  “I did nothing wrong!” Meenu responded.

  Her mother finally opened the door, anger showing in her green eyes. “You shot your arrow at a warrior. Do you know how dangerous that is, young lady?”