Chapter 11 - [Prisoners]

Meenu was surprised when Seliaryn walked into her room that evening. She didn’t even know he was back, but was very happy to see him.

     He, however, didn’t look too happy.

     “We have to leave immediately.” He said to her.

     When she asked about her stuff, he told her that he would return it all soon. Then, he got her onto a horse and they were riding away from the castle in a matter of minutes.

     The ride was quiet and when she asked him what had happened, he simply stated that there was a commotion that morning and that the King wanted her to return home.

     She immediately thought of Blood. He must have had something to do with that, though she couldn’t think of what it was.

     But it didn’t matter to her. Because soon, she was approaching Amberdyse and a feeling of relief overwhelmed her.

     They hadn’t even crossed the border when Knight came running towards the horse, startling it and forcing Seliaryn to have to calm it down. And though she just saw him the night before, she was still so happy to see him.

     Moments later, they arrived at her home. She jumped off the horse, ignoring the fact that she was ruining her dress, and ran into her teary mother’s arms.

     She hugged her mother for a long time, telling her how happy she was to be back home.

     But without saying much, Seliaryn said his goodbyes and rode off back to the capital.

     Meenu didn’t really mind right now, she was just happy to be home.

     She spent the rest of the day with her mother, telling her how horrible it was at the castle, except when Seliaryn spent time with her.

     But when night came, and she noticed that her father wasn’t home yet, she turned to her mother. “Where is papa?” She asked as she stroked Knight’s fur.

     She knew the answer, but felt the need to ask the question anyways.

     Her mother hesitated before she threw some wood into the fireplace. “He went to call off your engagement.”

     They had avoided the conversation all day, but her mother seemed relieved that she said it.

     Meenu simply nodded her head. “Oh. Okay.”

     Lady Kyrus looked at her daughter. “Meenu…” She started. “Who is Blood?”

     Meenu shrugged, honestly. “I don’t know much about him. But he’s my friend.”

     “You trust him?”

     She nodded her head at her mother.

     “When you know nothing about him?”

     Meenu realized now how odd that must have sounded. “Well… yes.”

     Her mother frowned, but didn’t argue with her. “Just… stay safe, love. Do you understand?”

     Meenu nodded. “I will, I promise.”

     She would try.

     The next day, Meenu decided to get back into her regular routine. So after spending some time with her friends, she made her way to the Feyran Forest. It had been a while since she practiced with that sword of hers, and she knew she had to get good if she wanted Blood to be impressed with her.