Part 2, Chapter 9. When You Thought You Could Rest.

Start from the beginning

Blastoise's hand shoots up. Poliwrath is already asleep in a chair. Pidgeot sleepily wonders over hand leans her head against Kyla. 

Kyla pets her head. "I get it, everyone is worn out." 

Chaz grunts and points to Miltank.

Miltank blushes. 

"I don't think David would appreciate me taking Miltank without asking." Kyla responds.

Chaz waves his arms, and grunts again.

"Wait..." Kyla turns to Miltank. "You want me to ask David about trading for you?!"

Miltank nods shyly.

"Is he not a good trainer?" Kyla asks.

Miltank looks at Chaz.

Chaz grunts again.

Kyla thinks for a moment. "You HAVE been a lot of help.. I will.. bring it up the next chance I get."

Miltank jumps around, happily.

"Whoa whoa! That does not mean David will say yes!" Kyla waves her hands.

Chaz grunts.

"Hmm... You know you are right, he owes me." Kyla responds. A long pause of silence wakes Poliwrath. "Well, let's go home! We will see David tomorrow."

On the way home, Kyla passes Jack, on his way home, from the shop.

"Hey, Jack, how was Dan today?"

Jack yawns loudly. "He nitpicked everything..." Jack looks at his watch. "But, at least he smiled and said I did a good job, at the end of the day."

Kyla chuckles. "He did the same thing to me."

Jack looks at her questioningly. 

Kyla and Jack walk together. "When I first came to the island, nothing was waiting for me. Hell, the Pokemon Clinic had not even been built yet! So... I worked at the Pokemart for awhile."

"Where did the trainers get treatment for their Pokemon, at the time?" Jack asks.

Kyla points up the hill. "The observatory. Professor Ivory was responsible for almost everything from getting new trainers started to law and order."

"That is crazy!" Jack responds.

"You would think she was under a lot of stress, but I think she was actually happier, then." Kyla shrugs. "But, that is just how she is."

"Have you and Ivory always got along?" Jack asks.

Kyla laughs. "Oh hell no! But we get to a better place, in the end." Kyla fist bumps Jack. "Just like you and Dan will eventually see eye to eye."

Jack smiles. "Thanks, Kyla." 

"No prob. See you later." Kyla waves as they take opposite roads to their houses.

Once at her house, Kyla opens the door to find Virginia on the couch with a book. Virginia looks up with a smile.

"Welcome home!" Virginia says happily.

Kyla sits down next to her. "Good to have the night off, for once."

Virginia chuckles. "Blare told me how you are barely ever home."

Kyla stares at the ceiling. "Cost of being the boss, I suppose..."

Virginia puts her book down and turns on the couch. "I am hearing you could use some help. Would I be right?"

Kyla continues to stare at the ceiling. "We were hoping the students would choose to intern with us, but no one applied."

"How about I intern with the both of you?" Virginia asks.