28

There's a tight feeling in my chest when we reach the driveway of the house. I look over at Camila who's in and out of consciousness from the drive. I don't immediately wake her up. I need a moment to gather myself.

So many memories rush back to me as I lean back in my seat and take in the view of the house, my hands gripping the steering wheel tightly.

The house is deteriorating. It's grey bricks are beginning to crumble and the once neat flower bed is dead and brown. The yard is unkept and long due to the warm weather. Dead leaves and pine straw are built up on both of the cars in the driveway telling me that no ones left the home in a while. The whole property just looks dead. It's almost the complete opposite of what it looked like when I left 3 years ago.

"Reminiscing?" Camila asks from her spot in the passenger seat.

I didn't notice that she was awake. I guess I was too busy doing exactly what she said.

"Of course." I look over at Camila. She sits up in her seat and releases a yawn. Then, she pulls her wild black hair into a low ponytail.

"It's been a while since you've seen it. Not as nice as it used to be, huh?"

Definitely not.

"Not at all," I admit. What the hell happened?

Once the reality of going inside that infamous house hits me, I begin to shake. I can feel my pulse in my fingertips and my breathing starts to quicken. Then, a hand on my shoulder brings me back to earth.

"Hey," Camila leans over the center console placing both elbows on it.

"I know it must be tough coming back here. Especially after you and them left off on the wrong foot. Just..." she trails off thinking of the right words.

"Do it for me?" Camila finally says as she takes my hand in hers and squeezes.

I crack a smile.

"Alright."

We get out the car and I grab both of our bags from the back seat. Camila leads the way to the front door. A sense of nostalgia hits me. Even the air here feels familiar. Not in a good way. As I follow behind Camila, the memory of leaving her in this very driveway comes back to me. It's a painful memory.

Once on the porch, Camila gives me one last look before she presses the doorbell. I was nervous meeting Ivy's family. This isn't nervousness. I'm more irritated and anxious than anything. Here goes nothing.

Suddenly, Sinuhe is standing in the door way. And I thought I let myself go. This woman is a mess. Her once auburn hair is starting to grey all over and her once tight physique has been over taken by this unrecognizable overweight woman's. The only thing that hasn't changed is that damned crucifix around her neck.

"Mother," Camila smiles as she wraps her arms around the pudgy woman. I really should be nicer to her. Hell, who am I kidding? I know I couldn't if I tried.

"Sweetheart! How have you been? You didn't tell me you were visiting," Sinuhe stutters as she wraps her dark robe tighter around her. Her hair is damp which tells me that she wasn't expecting our visit.

"I didn't think you'd mind," Camila claims. Once Sinuhe looks to me, her entire expression changes. Her brows furrow and her arms cross tightly over her chest.

"Well, someone is happy to see me." I can't help but revert back to my teenage self being in this environment.

"Why'd you bring him?" She looks to Camila.

I'm taken back. To say I feel unwelcome is an understatement.

"Last time I checked" I say as I brush past her to enter the house. ",this was my dad's house. I can come anytime I please. Am I wrong?"