20

I let Ivy have her space for the past couple of days. After being sent to voicemail every time I try calling and being avoided by her whenever I see her on campus, I took that as a hint. As much as it kills me to leave her alone, I know it's for the best. But right about now, I'm about to lose my mind. If I'm not mistaken, the scars on her wrist looked like old, self inflicted cuts. Just when I think I have her all figured out, I don't.

Thankfully, the diner isn't busy today. During my lunch break, I sit in the dining area with a plate full of free food. Just one of the perks of working here. I kick my feet up on the chair next to mine and pull my phone out of my pants pocket.Even though she doesn't respond to any of my text, it wouldn't hurt to try again.

Me: "I hope you're having a good day. I miss talking to you Ivy."

I send it, praying for a reply.

A few sends later my phone buzzes and I immediately read it.

Bookworm: "I'm surprised you still want to talk to me."

I knew she'd say something like that.

Me: "Why wouldn't I?"

The bell on the entrance of the diner rings and I ignore it. The chair across from me is pulled out and I raise my head to see who it is.

"What are you doing here?" I question.

"Ouch," she presses a hand against her chest. "it's nice to see you, too."

I move my feet off the chair next to me and sit up straight, crossing my arms over my chest. Camila tucks a stand of her hair behind her ear and gawks at me.

God, these outfits of hers. I don't remember her breast being so... full? Or maybe it's the tight v-neck shirt she's wearing that's making them stand out so much. I keep my eyes on hers to keep myself from looking down.

"The last time we spoke you called Ivy a weirdo and threatened me."

"Oh, please. I never threatened you and I wasn't lying. Ivy is a bit of a freak."

Is she kidding? I lean back in my chair with a long, exaggerated sigh. It's like she's gotten older and dumber at the same time. When the hell did Lauren become such a bitch?"Enough about Ivy. 'Secrets don't stay secrets forever?' Sounded like a threat to me."

Camila rolls her eyes and places her elbows on the table.

"I was just stating the obvious. Don't look at me like that. It's not like I'd tell her we used to fuck."

Me eyes grow wide and I quickly look around to make sure no one is close enough to hear anything.

"Keep your voice down."

"What? It's not like anyone here knows I'm your sister. Well.. by law. I guess."

I bury my face into my hands. An overwhelming amount of embarrassment washes over me.

"Cut it out," I demand in a hushed tone. Camila laughs as if any of this is funny.

"Calm down. Anyway, how've you been? I never see you."

I received another message.

Bookworm: "because of what you saw."

I ignore Camila and I quickly text back.

Me: "things like that don't bother me Ivy. It's ok."

Camila clears her throat loudly in desperate need of attention.

"I'm fine."

She scoffs. "It's been three years and all you can say is 'I'm fine?'"

I shrug my shoulders nonchalantly.