Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I stared at the jewel-like eyes and for a moment, got lost in the power that it holds to draw me closer. He's scrutinizing me, examining if I am a potential prey or a predator. I could hear his slow, trained breathing.

Hindi ako makagalaw. I was glued to the ground as he slowly lifted his head and majestically stood there, as if claiming his territory.

When my grandfather, Ferdinand Villafuerte said that he has a cat, I wasn't expecting a two-meter black puma to be lounging casually at the grand parlor of their mansion.

At first, I wanted to scream in horror, but my voice has betrayed me and I am now frozen to the ground. Pakiramdam ko sa matalim na tingin ng puma sa akin ay gusto na niya akong dambahin anumang oras.

Black, sleek, and glorious, he stood dignified with his head slightly tilted. Parang may mas karapatan pa siyang tumungtong sa mansion na ito kesa sa akin.

"Well, do you like him?"

I almost jumped at the sound of a deep baritone voice. Nilingon ko si Lolo at nakitang nakangiti na siya sa akin. A kind, amused smile is playing on his lips.

"It's a p-puma..." I stammered. I was so excited to pet the cat earlier, but when the cat is bigger and heavier than me, anyone would hesitate to be near the majestic animal.

"Yes, and he has a name. Barin. Which means warrior."

Parang gusto ko nalang mahimatay nang muling gumalaw ang puma. He is very keen of his surroundings, and protective, if I have to add. The way he looks at me tells me that he's not happy to be around strangers.

"Bakit po..."

"Barin is a new friend of mine." Lolo nonchalantly went to pet the cat. Barin purred and lay his huge head on my grandfather's lap. "He was dying when I first saw him during my trip in America. He was chased by hunters and was rescued, but it was clear that he's not going to survive the bullet wound on his legs and his stomach. Nagdadalawang isip sila kung hahayaan nalang nilang mamatay si Barin sa shelter."

Tinitigan ko muli ang puma. I've never met a cat this big, this wild, and this fierce. And my grandfather is holding him like he means the world to him. I could feel the connection between the two of them. Barin hols so much power in his eyes while Lolo's eyes are gentle and understanding.

"So, I volunteered to take him. I was told that I could never raise a wild cat in a domestic environment, and that assumes if Barin can survive the gunshot. I told them that he's a fighter, and he's going to be with me till the day that I die. The papers that allowed his transfer from US to Philippines are expensive that Amelia scolded me for it. But when she saw Barin, just like me, she fell in love with him."

"You have a strange taste for pets..." I murmured.

He chuckled softly. "Don't I?" his wrinkled hands continued to stroke Barin's head. He seems relaxed now, as he slowly closed his eyes for a nap on my Lolo's lap. "Barin is like a family to me now. Who knows? He can be your friend, if you want. You'll be staying here in the mansion from now on."

And just like that, the pain of losing all my friends and my life in La Union hits me. My grandparent's mansion is located in a small, sleepy town of Negros Occidental. Sobrang layo mula sa kinagisnan kong bayan sa La Union. May mga malapit naman kaming kapitbahay noong nakatira pa kami sa La Union, pero dito ay talagang wala. Maybe the fact that a black puma is living in the mansion is one of the reasons why people keep their distance from the Villafuerte family.