XLIV- betrayal

"What had you in such a hurry to leave?" Carlisle asked as he drove back to the Verily mansion, (Y/n) in the passenger seat and Rio, Danny and Lawrence in the back.

"I have a headache." She said while looking out of the window. "It's not that bad but I didn't like being around all of those people."

It was clear to see that (Y/n) was upset. She was never that amicable with them but she'd at least look at them while she was talking.

Carlisle bit on the inside of his cheek, he felt responsible for her despondency because of the kiss. But he couldn't bring himself to lie and apologise to her in good conscience.

While he was partially the reason, there was so much more to it than that. Everything seemed so much worse now, she had escaped before and ended back with them. Who's to say that the same thing wouldn't happen again.

"Poor thing." Danny pouted. "You should have spent the night with me instead of Rio. He's pretty boring, huh?"

"She has a headache, surely she'd want to be with someone who's a bit more quiet than you who's talking to every single person who enters your field of vision. Which, by the way, is an excellent way to get caught." Rio responded.

"Maybe she got the headache from boredom."

"Can you both shut up? You're making it worse." They weren't actually but (Y/n) was glad to have them quiet.

"Do you want some water?" Lawrence asked as they walked in.

"No. I need to talk to you though."

"To me?" He blushed noticeably. Was this the moment where she confessed her love for him? Though likely impossible and completely out of left field, his heart still pounded with the possibility.

"To all of you." (Y/n) said bluntly.

The others stood around awkwardly in the hall and she turned to face them.

"You're all dickheads."

Rio was perplexed, she hadn't told him that she was going to do this and it wasn't exactly conforming to the plan. While he was glad she wasn't very receptive of the others he didn't want her to get herself into any trouble.

"Watch it." Lawrence warned. "I'd pick your next words very carefully."

(Y/n) took a sharp inhale, as much as she wanted to call them every name in the book, she'd be there all night and be dragged off before she could make her point. "I know. I know everything that happened. I can remember now."

The room fell quiet, soft yet laboured breaths emitted from all of them. The men no longer had the upper hand of knowledge and any thought that they may have been doing this for the right reasons were flung out of the window.

While Danny, Carlisle and Lawrence quietly mourned their little scheme, Rio was practically shaking from head to toe.

'I'm fucked.'

"As I was saying: you're all dickheads." She cut through the silence and pointed at Rio. "But you're the worst of them all."

Yet again, it was everyone pitted against Rio. He had no more defences, excuses or lies- after months of being backed into corners and always finding some way to avoid it, his back had finally hit the wall. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide.

"I always did what was best for you." He said breathlessly.

"Is this about the room thing?" Carlisle questioned.

(Y/n) smiled pitifully and shook her head. "You want to know where I've been all this time? Why I didn't remember you or anything. Ask him."

All eyes seared into Rio. The skin on several palms were broken by the nails on tight fists.

"You were running away with Ollie, I couldn't just let you go." Rio tried to appeal to the others in desperation to keep (Y/n) but was struggling to break through.

"I lived with him for two whole years. He gave me fucking god knows what that made me forget everything and I was given injections and pills and medicines every single day." Tears arose in (Y/n)'s eyes violently. "He told me that if I left that place that Jonah was going to get me. Did you even fucking care that for months I had to cry myself to sleep because I was so terrified?? Do you care now?"

"It was for your own good in the long run. You didn't get hurt once in those two years." His voice was quiet yet adamant.

"So all the migraines, the panic attacks, all the times I'd pass out in the middle of the day- that's all healthy and not your fault?" No response came. "That's what I fucking thought."

"Rio, you're so dead." Lawrence spoke through gritted teeth, not wanting to show (Y/n) the full extent of his anger.

All three men felt the same, the pain that they had experienced for two years could all be owed to Rio. He lied not only to them, but to their sweet (Y/n) too.

"I can't believe I fell for it." Her voice drooped from and enraged tone to a more forlorn one. "I fell in love with you because I thought you were saving my life. You were the only person I had and I loved you... but not anymore. I know what you really are now."

"(Y/n)," Rio sighed helplessly. "Your feelings don't just disappear in a second."

"Everything's different now. I fucking hate you. I know I say that a lot so it's probably lost its edge but I really do mean it. I hate you so much. I-" She had to catch her breath, her crying was overtaking her speaking.

Carlisle came to her side and hugged her wailing form, the slightest bit happy that this ordeal was overshadowing what he did earlier that day.

"(Y/n)-" Rio stepped forward but was grabbed by Danny.

"You're done." Danny spat, pulling Rio in the opposite direction- straight towards the basement.

"Fuck...No...NO!" Rio fought back but wasn't any match for his old best friend. "(Y/N)! PLEASE, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! I KNOW YOU LOVE ME TOO! JUST HELP ME! I'M SO SORRY! I WON'T DO IT AGAIN, TRUST ME! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU! (Y/N)! HELP! I LOVE-"

Rio's crazed screams became quieter as he was pulled down the corridor.

When Danny ascended from the basement a few hours later, (Y/n) never asked him what happened to Rio. She could very much assume.

She never saw him exit the basement after all.