XXXII- coming to

Rio was practically hyperventilating into oblivion in the kitchen. He didn't think (Y/n) was awake yet since there wasn't any loud screaming or crying.

He hated that he'd become involved with this shit again. He'd taken a different route to avoid the struggle and the upsets, and it worked... until she ran away anyway. Maybe security is what's needed and his mistake was making her think she had the power to do what she wanted, of course locking her in was an act of protection but she also needed to be aware that it was an exercise of power also.

But before worrying about any of that, Rio needed to get her away from the rest of them. And this needed to happen without him ever being in the same room as her, god forbid she asks for him.

He could almost picture it: (Y/n) crying her little heart out when she begs to be freed, telling them frantically that she has a boyfriend on the police force named Rio. They wouldn't take that as a coincidence, and after a thorough explanation that would leave (Y/n) hating his guts, he'd be slowly killed over several days. The situation wasn't exactly ideal for any party involved.

The worst part of it all was not having anybody to confide in. Rio generally kept himself to himself but whenever something was troubling him, there was always someone he could go to. Before she ran off, that person would be (Y/n) and he'd take her over anyone else but she wasn't really a viable option. Before he had her then it would've been either Danny, who would gut him like a fish if he ever found out what Rio had done, or Ollie...

Rio gulped, he felt guilty when Sasha died. She hurt (Y/n), yes, but she wasn't anywhere close to finding out. Killing her gained nothing. Rio didn't want to drive this up to the point where people were dying, he promised himself he'd only kill if he absolutely had to.

But Ollie.

Ollie was a different story. He was getting in the way, that Rio understood. He was saying some nasty things that riled Danny up. But it was Ollie, there were four of them, there were more efficient ways to stop him from getting to (Y/n).

It wasn't a pretty sight to see one of your old best friends kill the other. A pain tugged at Rio's heart, he was yet to cry over Ollie's death, he didn't want to accept it as real. He had quite happily ignored Ollie for a straight two years, all he had to do was the same. Pretend Ollie was out there, still smiling.

His quick period of grieving became overlayed with a high pitched scream. Rio shuddered and looked towards the steps.

She was awake.

"Stop screaming, (Y/n)." Lawrence said with a calm and steady voice. "And stop moving around you're going to hurt yourself."

Carlsile grunted as she elbowed him again, trying to break free from his arms. "We thought you might appreciate not being tied down, and this is the treatment we get? It's not too late to change that, baby."

"Don't call her that." Danny scolded. "That's what Alice calls her."

(Y/n)'s screaming and wriggling stopped in all of an instant. "You know Alice??"

"Are you going to stay in bed and stop hurting our ears?" Lawrence asked. She nodded with vigour, wanting answers as to how they know of her mother.

Carlisle released her somewhat reluctantly but the  glare Danny was sending his way was enough to make him distance himself from (Y/n).

"How do you know her?" (Y/n) asked indignantly, tear stains still streaked across both her cheeks.

"You can drop the act now." Carlisle smirked.