XXIII- run away

(Y/n) ran a wet cloth over the dirty table after the occupants had left. Her shift had only just begun and she was already tired of it.

Missed were the days where she could lay in bed with Rio for hours, how she took for granted her given opportunity to not have to work for her living.

'Don't.' She told herself.

"(Y/n)."

Some part of her told her that the voice calling out to her was Rio. She looked happily to the direction hey name came from but was disappointed with the sight.

"Ollie? That was your name, right?" She rolled her eyes.

"Yes- I need to talk to you." He said from the table he was sat at. This time, alone.

"No way." (Y/n) responded, walking over to him to give him a menu.

"It's really-"

"What? Important? Like last time where you just told me some shit I already knew and then Jonah came here anyway. Jonah's dead now so I don't see why you're still bothering me." She shoved the menu into his hands and folded her arms stubbornly.

Ollie was forced to think on his feet. "We, um....shit- we-"

"Save it."

"We think the murderer might come for you next!" He blurted out, the excuse was weak but it was the best he could think of. "You need to get out of Port Coald. There's a train going up north tomorrow morning."

(Y/n) scoffed, now she knew for a fact that he was lying. "I don't know what your problem is. But you need to leave me the hell alone."

"I'm trying to help you." He whined.

"He told me about people like you. People who'd try to manipulate me." (Y/n) shook her head. Rio was right about the world, it really was cruel and untrustworthy.

"Who's he? Wait a minute- are you talking about Rio?!" Ollie felt he was going to be sick. They already got to her. He was too late.

(Y/n) nodded as if it were obvious. "He's your friend, chill out."

"Have you seen him? Like, here????" Ollie by now had stood up and was shaking (Y/n) by her shoulders.

She shoved him away. "No, I haven't seen him since I moved here. " (Y/n) brushed herself down, recovering from the sudden movement. "Now, can you order or get out?"

"You can't trust him. He's lying to you." If Ollie got one thing out of this visit, he hoped it would be that (Y/n) would at least try to avoid them.

"And I can trust you? I don't know who you are and the interactions we have had haven't been very enlightening. Honestly, I think you've got information about me from Rio and you're trying to scam me or something." She challenged.

He took a deep breath, thinking of a way to articulate his thoughts. "You don't have to trust me or even see me ever again. You just need to leave. It is not safe for you in Port Coald. There's a murderer."

(Y/n) knew there was a murderer, because it was her. She wanted to believe him, he sounded sincere but she couldn't wrap her head around the things he was saying.

"You're sketchy as fuck. I gave you a chance when I went to your house and you made me hide in a closet and jump out of a window without any explanation." She accused. "Order or leave."

"(Y/n), I promise I will explain everything once we've got out of here. But it's kind of complicated and we don't have a lot of time." Ollie could see other people starting to grow interested in their interaction. He needed to convince her before he got thrown out.

(Y/n) rolled her eyes. "I'm not going anywhere with you. I'm going to have to ask you to leave the property."

He was about to protest but saw that his removal was pretty much assured. He gave one last desperate look in (Y/n)'s direction before walking out with his head hung low.

"You good?" Taylor sqeaked from behind her.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She said quietly, still dissecting what exactly just happened in her head.

"You're not leaving, are you?" He continued nervously.

"No." (Y/n) shook her head. Some part of her was urging her to listen to Ollie and get out of there but all logic seemed to contradict it. "We should get back to work."

Her mind was a fuzzy plain that night. Something about Ollie tugged at her but it was much too late.

'Maybe I should go....?' (Y/n) pondered, lifting herself up from her bed and walking to her window.

She looked out into the darkness of the still town. But she knew that even when the town was still, sinister goings on could still occur... she was the cause of one after all.

'Why am I even considering listening to this guy?? All I know of him is that he has some link to Rio but doesn't seem to be a fan and he knows Jonah... Fuck, my head... This is too much.'

(Y/n) massaged her temples gently to ease her headache, the movement of her thumbs becoming more harsh and purposeful as the pounding in her mind continued.

All the things that were happening around her were intense, more intense than what she was used to and not what she was anticipating. Perhaps she'd be able to deal with this intensity if she had any clue of what was going on and how she fit into it.

(Y/n) cursed the gaping hole in her memory. She didn't know who to trust, who was lying, who she knew and who she didn't. Logically, Rio was the safest option. He'd looked after her for years and never hurt her. But this niggling voice pushed her to listen to Ollie despite having little to no reason to. It was frustrating, confusing and more than anything: exhausting.

This constant wondering if Rio keeping her locked away was truly for her safety or for some ulterior motive. If Ollie had her best interest at heart or if the murderer wasn't the only thing he was lying about. If the two even knew each other.

A cold glass of water helped settle the headache slightly and she wandered back to bed and the coldness hit. That coldness was all she needed to make up her mind.

'I love him. Of course I do, I never stopped. Rio loves me too. Ollie's lying about him- he's good and he'd never hurt anyone. I'm sure he was just as confused as me and didn't know about Jonah's incarceration... That's it... I love him.'