Confessions by the riverside

Alandria shut her eyes and threw her arms forward to swim to the surface as fast as she could. She needed oxygen, pronto! Her legs were heavy but that did not stop them to kick in the water as she made her way up. The sunlight flashed across her already burning eyes as she emerged from the lake and water made its way out of her throat immediately. After coughing out the dirty water, Alandria lazily swam to the bank and threw her body on the grass.

*Ohhh...as if life was not as complicated already...now I have to drown too....*

*But you didn't. Look at the bright side!* her brain reminded her.

*Hmmm yeah...* she agreed.

Alandria unconsciously let her hand wander on the grass when she suddenly felt something soft...soft fabric...which smelled really good...it smelled like a person she knew.

"Zayden" she whispered as her eyes swapped open.

Immediately, her body jerked forward and she sat up in a bolt. In front of her, sprawled on the grass, was Zayden's shirt. What was it doing her? Wasn't Zayden supposed to be inside the house sulking? Or...being furious and throwing everything around...including her food...? Poor food...

"What the heck is this all about?" she whispered in confusion as she walked towards the house, the shirt in her hand.

She arrived in front of the door and entered the house, hoping that Zayden would not mind her getting the floor wet. Something was wrong...the house was strangely quiet.

"Zayden?" she called, "Why is your shirt..."

She stopped dead. She took a deep breath and went to search in each room. He was not home. Where was he? Alandria stood in utter confusion when suddenly she felt like she was hit with bat on her head!

"Oh shit! He's in the bloody lake!" she yelled to herself as she threw the shirt away and sped towards the lake at full speed.

She didn't know she could run that fast! She felt like she was on a motorbike or something but no! These were her legs! She was actually a fast runner! Who would've thought!

Alandria jumped in the water with a loud splash and dived right into it. A lot of fearful thoughts ran through her head, but she focused on her location. She had to find Zayden! The water was muddy, making it difficult to even see the underwater plants. She wished there was no strange creature that would eat her. It was a silly thought, but this was the kind of thought which would run in anyone's mind had they been in her place. She decided that she would let her hands do all the work since the water was so dirty. She felt everything around her...the plants, the mud, that weird fish with warm skin ughh...., and even the objects that lay under water, but to no avail. There was no sign of him. At last, Alandria  was starting to suffocate. She felt angry at her weak human attributes and swam to the surface to breathe. 

Where the hell was he? He must be near the bank since he jumped from there! If he really did not know how to swim then he must be near the bank! It did not make any sense! Why was he not near the bank?

"Think Alandria! Think!" she told herself, trying not to panic.

"ZAYDEN!" she cried, "ZAYDEN!"

No answer.

*Clearly...he must be having a chat with a fish...otherwise I cannot understand why he would not answer you under water...* she felt her brain tease.

*Oh you...what the...* 

Fish? Alandria thought hard about this. Can there really be a fish in this kind of water? There could be...but...was that really a fish she felt earlier? Since when did fish skin feel warm and human like? SINCE WHEN DID FISH HAVE SKIN? THEY HAVE SCALES!