Chapter 72

Author PoV

"Yes, Chaeyoung? You were saying something, dear?" Chaeyoung's dad asked her.

They were having a small family dinner at their country home in Melbourne. Chaeyoung's parents have been telling her about Alice and her little mistakes while she's been in Korea. 

Instead of making Alice feel bad, they all had a good laugh. 

Chaeyoung did miss this. When she was just a kid, and her family would have a little holiday in the countryside and just relax. Sure, she's Korean but Australia is the real home to her. 

Maybe it's because she grew up here and sometimes feels out of place in Korea.

Everyone was laughing at the story of Alice, when she almost pulled out a molar tooth instead of a wisdom tooth in one of her operations. Her reason was because, she came to her clinic, half asleep and her patient did not grow the right amount of teeth. 

"Uhm, maybe next time, daddy," Chaeyoung replied. 

"Why next time? You and your sister barely has 2 days left here in Melbourne. What's the news? And why do you have bodyguards?" her dad asked. 

Chaeyoung's hand under the table were sweating, her left hand touching the ring on her right ring finger and twisting it left and right. 

Should I tell it now? She thought. Maybe tomorrow. Oh, no. Now. Or tomorrow? Come on, Chaeng!

Alice lifted her eyebrow, "Sis? What did you want to say?"

"I...uh...." 

"Oh, come on, both of you! You're scaring our youngest," her mom scolded and looked at Chaeyoung. "It's okay, Chae, figure out where you want to start."

Chaeyoung cleared her throat, "Well...you guys know I'm turning 28 in a month...and uh..."

"Yes?" Her dad pressured. "Say it, dear. I'm starting to get worried."

She nodded at her dad, "So uhm, it's about Jiyoon..."

"Jiyoon? Why what happened?" Alice quickly asked. 

"Is there something wrong in Korea? What happened to her? Where is she?" her dad asked. 

"Roseanne, did something happen?" her mom asked her. 

She was called Roseanne. That meant it was a very serious matter to them. 

But no actually, it wasn't about Jiyoon. 

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, "Okay, wait! It's not about her, alright? She's totally fine!"

"Come to think of it, why isn't she with you? Where is she staying?" her mom asked. 

"Can you just let me talk first!" She yelled. 

Everyone was taken aback and agreed that Chaeyoung will talk first. 

"And promise me, no one's reacting until I'm done," she said. 

"We'll try our best," Alice spoke. 

Chaeyoung took a deep breath, "It's been 5 years since I've become a single mother. Those 5 years was precious to me, because a lot of things has changed. I've become a better doctor, and I've done things that were not part of my job description."

"Uh-huh, where are you getting at this?" her dad asked. "Look, if it's about being burdened, we know you've done so many great things--"

"Look, dad, it's not about getting burdened," Chaeyoung cut him off. "I'm so grateful that you guys took Jiyoon in even if she was caused out of irresponsibility. You guys supported me even if I ended up this way."