Chapter Thirty: Ariadne

Ariadne's POV

My mouth hung open at Prince Durnham. How dare he lie to the palace guards?

"Bell would never attack someone for just visiting!" I countered.

He shook his head. "I do not know why she did it, maybe this curse is stronger than you think," he said then gave me a look as if daring me to make a retort back.

"Are you alright?" One of our guards asked.

"I am fine, thank you," Prince Durham said, swaying a little as if fatigued.

"Of course he is fine! He was never hurt!"

The guard turned to me. "Did you attack him?"

"He was hurting Bell-"

"How?"

"He was holding her wrists and her hands were turning purple!" I could not believe that the guards were believing him over me. This was ridiculous!

"I admit I was holding her wrists, and maybe a little too tightly, but if I had not then she would have continued her attack on me," Prince Durnham interjected.

The guards looked at me to see if I had anything to add. I thought frantically. "What about when she screamed?" I asked. "Grace and I both heard Bell scream when we opened the door."

"She screamed when I walked in, heaven only knows why."

"Why was the door locked?"

He sighed. "I have no idea. The door closed behind me when I walked in."

I opened my mouth to say something, anything, to prove that Bell was innocent when she put her finger over my lips.

"Stop Ariadne," she whispered, trembling. "It is not worth it."

I stared at Bell in disbelief. This could not be my sister. The sister who was always proving she was right, who would not lose a fight.

She just shook her head then turned to the guards. "It is true, I attacked him without being provoked. Perhaps he should leave before I am overcome and do it again."

I sighed. That is perfect! Lie to them and then he will have to leave and he won't-

"I think that is all the more reason for me to stay," Prince Durnham replied. "You need my help, dear princess."

"It is your choice, my Lord," the guard said as I stood dumbfounded. "But your safety is a high priority on our list."

"The princess could not hurt me if she tried," he said, standing taller. "She just caught me off guard last time, but now I will be ready, and I will stay until I have solved this little mystery."
I groaned. This is not happening.

He walked past Bell and I and lifted Bell's face by her chin so that she would look at him. "Do not worry, my princess, I will figure it out."

She glared at him as he walked out of the door.

Before the last guard walked out an idea popped into my head. "Excuse me," I said and the guard turned to me. "What is your name?"

"Elias," the older man said.

"Well, Elias, could I ask that you watch over my dear sister here," I said motioning to Bell. "And make sure that she does not hurt anyone else?"

"Ardeen-"

"Of course, your majesty," he said with a bow. "I will be stationed outside of her door until she feels better."

"Oh thank you, that is much appreciated."