Chapter Nineteen: Ariadne

Ariadne's POV

I slowly stood, silently hoping that Harriet had not heard our conversation, and followed her to the throne room.

I tried to ask her what I was needed for, but she just ignored me and told me to keep up. I sighed and hurried after her. We arrived at the throne room in less than a minute and Harriet opened the doors, shoved me inside, and closed them behind me; bringing everyone's attention to my surprised face. I looked around and recognized only a few of the men that sat behind the long table; all of them were my father's counselors, all except the man who stood in front of the table, who was also staring at me. He wore all green and brown clothing and he looked like he lived in the woods, by his clothing and unshaven face.

"Ah, Princess Ariadne, I suppose Harriet sent you?" My father's most trusted counselor, Lord Ashman, said.

"Yes," I answered slowly.

"And I hope she has informed you of the... situation?"

"Ah... No. She has not."

A few of the counselors laughed, but the majority of them looked at me like I was wasting their time.

"What is the situation?" I asked standing taller when none of them said anything.

"It is of no matter-"

"No matter!" the peasant in green said. "It is a great matter indeed!"

The counselors laughed and beckoned for me to sit down, which I did.

"The taxes of the people must be lowered, it is too hard to keep up with all the payments," the man said and I nodded, thinking his request was reasonable, although I did not know much about taxes. My father had not yet discussed the kingdom's finances with me.

"And how should your leaders, such as Princess Ariadne, help overcome this problem?" Sir Ashman asked.

"Well, you could distribute the money from the rich to those who are in poverty."

I looked at the man confused, were there really people in Glendowin that were in poverty?

"I am not sure many would comply, and then they would rebel against us, and there would be a war. You don't want a war, do you?"

"You are foolish if you think that the people are not rebelling already," the man said through gritted teeth.

"Guards," one of the counselors called. "We have heard enough."

Then two guards came up to the man and escorted him out of the room. "Your own ignorance will cause war!" he yelled as the doors closed behind him.

I thought about what he said. Were people really starving in Glendowin? And if so, why aren't the counselors doing anything about it?

I stood up.

"Your highness, you are still needed. That was not the reason you were called here," a counselor said.

"If you will excuse me, I need some fresh air," I said, knowing it was the oldest excuse in the book.

"You have five minutes," he said gruffly.

"Thank you," I said, curtsied, and walked out the doors the man was carried out of.

Once the doors were closed, I heard yelling and followed the loud noise as quickly as I could without running. I wanted to ask him a few questions. I needed to know his side of the situation.

I turned a corner and saw two guards pushing the man out of the front doors, and quickly closing them. I passed the guards and they opened the doors for me, but the man in green was nowhere to be seen. I slowly walked down the stairs, looking around.

I got to the bottom of the stairs and continued towards the orchard. He wasn't anywhere. I was about to give up and go back inside when a hand quickly covered my mouth and another hand pinned both of my hands to my back, and I was being dragged backwards into the cover of our orchard.

"If you scream I won't let you see home again," a rough voice whispered in my ear.

I quickly nodded and the hand was removed from my mouth but went to secure my hands so I couldn't move away.

"Why did you follow me?" he asked and I realized it was the peasant man.

"I want to help."

His grip on my wrists tightened and I winced. "Why would you want to help me?"

Maybe this was why the counselors had refused to help him. "I want to. Isn't that good enough?"

"Why now? If you haven't helped us in the past, why would you all of a sudden change your mind?"

"I didn't know," I said looking at the ground. "I never even imagined anyone was starving, not while-," I stopped, biting my lip in regret.

"While you got everything to your heart's desire?" He sneered. "Well they were, and still are."

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"What?" He asked then turned me around so I faced him, moving his strong grip to my arms.

"I truly am sorry," I said looking straight into his bright green eyes.

He looked away from me and stepped back, letting go of my arms.

"What's your name?" I asked after a minute, trying to lighten the conversation.

He narrowed his eyes and looked me over before answering, "My family calls me Simeon."

"Should I call you that too?"

"Unless you prefer something else?" he said gruffly.

I smiled. "Simeon sounds perfect."

A small smile appeared on his dirty face. "How are you going to help us?"

"I could-" I stopped. I hadn't thought about how I had just wanted to help. "However I can, I guess."

Simeon looked a little disappointed, but still hopeful. "Well," he said thinking. "Meet me at the North corner of your maze tomorrow, we will talk then." He turned to leave.

"Wait," I called and he stopped but didn't turn around. "When should I meet you?"

He looked over his shoulder. "I'll be waiting." And with that, he turned and left.

What do you think about the new situation?

Will Ariadne be able to help Simeon??

Make sure to vote and comment!!