Chapter Fifteen: Ariadne

Ariadne's POV

I just stared at the pink ottoman. 

I didn't want to go back. I cautiously stepped towards the seat, hoping I wouldn't wake up any of my sisters since they were all in bed asleep. I knelt next to the seat in the semi-darkness and pushed the cushion on top off, feeling the top of it was just wood, no opening.

I started to get excited.

Maybe it was just a dream! Maybe I didn't have to go back.

But my hand found the small jewel and it began glowing a deep red again. I quickly stepped back and covered my eyes so it wouldn't blind me. But this time it stopped glowing as quickly as it started. I grabbed a lantern from on top of one of the nearby dressers and saw that there was indeed a glass staircase where the top of the ottoman used to be. I stepped onto it and once again slowly made my way down the nearly invisible stairs.

Once again I found myself staring at a site that can only be described as the stuff of dreams.

"You came," the man from before stepped out from the shadows. However, this time he was not dressed in a dark cloak. Instead, he had on some very nice clothing. Clothing meant for a prince.

"You didn't give me much of a choice," I responded bitterly. I had thought about not coming back down, but something warned me that the consequence of not coming would be worse.

He chuckled. "Come now, let us not be enemies. We got off to a rocky start and I want to begin again. Please, allow me to introduce myself." He bowed deeply. "I am Estevan of Ailleron."

I curtsied, but not with the same respect as Estevan did. Why was he being nice all of a sudden? "I am Princess Ariadne Cardwell of Glendowin. But you already knew that."

He nodded with a smile that would enchant any maiden in the land. I would have also found myself smitten if not for our previous encounters.

"I apologize for our last meetings. I am afraid the only company I have down here are my brothers. It has been a long time since I have had the pleasure of meeting a woman, especially of such high rank. I know the excuse is not a good one, but I hope you will accept my deepest apologies nonetheless."

"I will once you have proven yourself more of a gentleman. Simply introducing yourself and apologizing is not enough to earn my respect or admiration."

His smile faded but he nodded as if trying to calm himself down. "I see. Well, since you must stay a little while longer, why don't you come this way."

There was nothing but forest as far as the eye could see down the path he pointed, but I didn't appear to have much of a say in the matter. I took his offered arm and let him lead me down the path.

"There are many paths leading through this kingdom. You are only to go on the ones that you have been on already, is that clear?"

"Clear as crystal," I mumbled. I didn't really have much of a choice.

"Excellent. Now, let me show you some of the astonishing wonders found in our realm."

                           *                                                  *                                                  *

I hadn't been able to sleep very well after I had returned from the mysterious kingdom, with thoughts of Estevan, Peter, and Prince Wilson running through my head all night, worrying what the next day would bring. It seemed like I had tried everything to sleep but nothing worked.