Chapter Twenty-Eight: Peter

Peter's POV

I had not had a chance to see Ariadne since I found out she was about to get engaged. But despite the small chance of hope, I was still trying to earn my title back.

There has not been an engagement announcement yet and the king was off at war so perhaps I had a chance. I was doing lots of extra jobs to earn more money, and if this kept up I could buy my title back before the year ended. If Princess Ariadne did not want my hand in marriage, at least I would be able to provide adequately for Julie again.

            I found must of the jobs with some of my father's old friends; some let me fix their stove, feed and ride their horses, and I even patched up Lord Grunewald's roof. I had a good sum of money, but it wasn't even close to half of what I needed.

Maybe I could pay for a part of my title, and earn the rest. I thought hopefully as I fed Sir Eccles hunting dogs their lunch - you would have thought they were never fed by the way they attacked their meal.

            "You're welcome Beast and Buck," I told the black-coated dogs and I petted their sleek coats.

            "Peter?" A sweet voice called.

            Ariadne? I quickly turned around and saw Sir Eccles daughter, Mary, and my heart sunk. "Yes?"

            "Sir Eccles would like to see you. I can take you there if you'd like?"

            "That's very kind of you," I said as I followed her out of the stables and into the Eccles Manor.

            "Ah, Peter. Have a seat," Sir Eccles said patting the couch he was on.

            "I'm fine," I insisted.

            "Nonsense. You have been working all day, you must be tired."

            Not wanting to offend the kind sir, I went over and sat next to him. "Maybe a little."

            "That's better. Now, you have done my family a great deal of kindness, doing all those tasks that my age prevents me from doing-"

            "I'm not the one doing kindness, you're letting me earn a few extra coins to help my family and I get along, I should be the one thanking you," I interrupted, not wanting Sir Eccles to feel as if I was ungrateful.

            He smiled. "Thank me? I'm just an old man with a few extra coins in his pocket and a lovely daughter to keep me company."

            "You've done well in raising her," I told him.

            "I was hoping you would agree, I have a proposal you cannot possibly refuse."

            I looked at the old man in surprise, what more could he offer me?

            "You see, Mary is already thirteen, and as far as I know, you have not yet found a suitable companion. You two could start a life together-"

            "I couldn't possibly drag your daughter into my situation. It would be disgraceful for her to marry someone who was not of your class or higher."

It was a little ironic though, seeing as how I wanted to marry the crown princess.

            "I don't care squat about class. And as far as 'dragging her into your situation', why you would live here. And your sister and parents could live here as well, we have plenty of room."

            I tried to take this all in. "I... I'll need to think about it," I said. What about Ariadne? I couldn't just marry someone who I didn't love. Was I that selfish? This could help my family, and my sister could get the right medicine she needed for her cough.