Chapter Nine: Ariadne

Ariadne's POV

"You can let go of me now, thank you," I said, pushing his hands off my waist then quickly turned back to the door. "Did someone really just shut us in here?" I said and tried the door handle. It was locked.

The man said nothing.

Panic slowly began boiling in my gut. "Aren't you going to help me get this door open?"

"I will," he said, his voice deep, sending shivers up my spine. "But not before I do this."

Without a second's hesitation, he closed the small gap between us and pressed his mouth against mine. I tried with all my might to push him away, but he was surprisingly strong. I could barely move at all. And I felt my strength draining out of me. This wasn't how a lady's first kiss was supposed to go!

Then the door opened and the rest seemed like slow motion.

The light silhouetted a man's confused face. After a moment of adjusting to the brightness, the outline of perfect posture, messy brown hair, and shocked chocolate brown eyes became a man I knew very well. I was finally able to push the creep away from me, but I couldn't bear to look at Peter. Shamed consumed my body as if this whole dilemma was my fault.

"I'm sorry to interrupt. I'll just be leaving now."

"Peter, wait-"

"No need to explain. I think I understand just perfectly," he said leaving as abruptly as he came.

"No. Peter! Wait! I don't even know him," I called as I began to follow him. Then the man grabbed my arm.

"It won't be long now, your highness," he sneered.

"Let go of me."

"Gladly." He said and tried following me out of the room, but some unseen barrier prevented him from leaving. I heard him yell in frustration as I hurried after Peter.

I ordered the guards at the front doors to open them as I hurried through. And in my hurry, I almost ran straight into Peter who was standing right behind the doors.

"Peter," I said breathlessly and he turned around and ran down the stairs leading to the garden. "Peter! Please, just listen to me!"

He stopped and turned to look at me. I saw the hurt in his eyes and it made me feel so much worse than I already did. "What?" He snapped and it scared me a little. "Why are you chasing me instead of being with... with your man?"

"Please, don't call him my-"

"What? Is he going to be king now? Should I call him your majesty?"

"No," I stammered. "That was nothing! The kiss was unplanned and," I stopped and dropped my now crumpled skirts. I couldn't take the anger I saw in his eyes, I'd never seen him like this. "Why are you acting so... different? What did you steal to have your title taken away?" I cried. "No. What did you do to have your respect, love, and my Peter taken away?"

I turned away and walked in a dignified manner until I was out of sight, where I quickly ran to the common room; hoping I wouldn't run into anyone else on my way there.

My wish wasn't granted. "Ardeen! I've been looking every-" Charities said when I bumped into her, then stopped when she saw my face. "What happened?"

I shook my head and angrily kicked some rocks innocently resting in my path, holding back tears.

She looked me over long and hard before responding. "It's okay, you don't have to tell me... yet."

I laughed but it sounded more like a cough. "Do you mind if I go to bed? I'm sure Harriet could help you judge."

"Okay, but I'll be back to check on you later."

I smiled weakly and nodded. Charities gave me a quick hug and then ran off to find Harriet. It was surprising to me when I had no more run-ins with anyone else. Usually, maids were always scurrying about, trying to finish up chores. Then I realized that they were all probably downstairs helping with the ball.

"I saw Monsieur Jacque directing Prince Wilson to the storage closet, mumbling something about how easy it should be for someone to grab him a bag of flour," I heard a maid laugh from down the hall. "Can you imagine? Monsieur Jacque ordering a prince!"

Prince Wilson was so kind.

Oh no! 

Just curious,

Who do you like the best? Peter, Prince Wilson, or the strange man from the closet??

Don't forget to vote and comment!

And I'll be posting new chapters every Monday.