Epilogue: 1 year later

Ariadne's POV

"Come on, Ariadne!" Juno cried, pulling me down the hallway. "We can't be late!"

"Alright, alright," I said giggling. 

Juno had grown so much since the disaster - that's what the town was calling it. After I had announced to them all what had happened - well the shortened version - they had the opportunity to stand and accept me as their queen, or leave the room. Most had stood in support of me. It was a very moving moment, and I took their trust very seriously. 

I was determined to make it up to them.

That's why the last year had been very long. The whole kingdom was completely focused on rebuilding it to its former glory. In a way, we also made it more beautiful. With the exception of a few burnt places in the forest and a few hills, but those would eventually grow back, and the small plants we had planted everywhere we flourishing. 

Rebuilding all the houses had taken the most work, but it was always worth it to see the joy on the family's faces when they saw their new homes. My father had put Peter in charge of the restoration of the kingdom, and said that it would be more than enough to redeem his name and earn back his title and more. 

Peter had also been reluctant to let me help him with the actual houses, but they were so short on able-bodied men that they didn't have a choice. Men and women alike worked to restore the kingdom. It took some time getting used to the work, but now it felt weird wearing a ball gown while running down corridors instead of sweating in the beating sun, racing Peter. Now that all the houses were built, and the kingdom was mostly restored, we were celebrating our progress with an autumn ball as well as the unmasking of the memorial for all of those who had died because of the dragon. Everyone had convinced me that it wasn't my fault, it was Estevan's.

"Juno," I complained. "Can't we walk the rest of the way?"

She huffed but slowed down to a fast walk.

"Are you sure I look alright?"

Juno stopped and then walked around me a few times without saying a word.

That can't be good. I thought.

I had gotten a lot tanner from being outside so often, which was normally frowned upon by society. Princesses shouldn't work, and they definitely shouldn't have dark skin. But I didn't mind, knowing that I was helping my people. But what if it completely transformed me into an atrocious beast. And that wasn't even mentioning the calluses on my hands and how I couldn't fit into the small dresses that Mr. Eli made me in the past. To be honest, I felt better than I had for a long time, but what if no one else thought so? What if Peter didn't think so? He had left unexpectedly two weeks ago and I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't be able to see him tonight.

"You look great, now let's go!"

I sighed. That wasn't exactly a reassuring comment. "Alright."

It was too late to change anything now anyway.

We walked up to the doors and the guards each bowed before opening them for us. Music played loud from inside and I smiled, this was going to be fun. I had nothing to worry about. I was late as well, so perhaps everyone would be so busy dancing that they wouldn't notice me.

That thought immediately flew out the window when I saw Sir Sneddon rapped his silver cane on the ground, silencing everyone.

"Crown Princess Ariadne Carwell of Glendowin, and her sister, Princess Juno Cardwell."