Chapter Forty-Three: Ariadne

Ariadne's POV

I wasn't sure if Harriet was more stressed or happy after hearing about the cursed kingdom.

With the new information about our nightly outings, also came the wedding announcement to the rest of the castle. Prince Wilson had chosen me. 

My sisters were all thrilled, and Harriet was pleased and perhaps a little intimidated with the preparations. But the council at least pretended that they wished us happiness and long lives together. However, I knew they were unhappy that they would be losing the power that they had recently gained from my father's absence.

I was also hesitant to agree to a wedding and coronation date, which Harriet wanted to happen in the same week. I felt like agreeing to become coronated would make my father's death certain. We hadn't, after all, heard any other news from the army yet. 

"Your people need you to lead them. "Prince Wilson said after I asked for his opinion on the subject.

"Whether or not your father is alive or dead. If he is still alive, he may be gone for the war for many years and it would be better if they had a leader who lived in Glendowin. For glory's sake, he's not even in the same realm as Glendowin."

Maybe it would be best to have a coronation.

"I'll talk it over with my sisters first. They should at least be told before I make any decisions."

He smiled, making my stomach flutter. "I know you will make the right decision."

He kissed my forehead before taking his leave. I stood there for a moment longer, trying to figure out how to bring up the topic with my sisters before making my way to the common room where they were most likely waiting for me.

"I need your help," I said, speaking to all of my sisters, but looking at Charities, as she always gave me confidence during hard times.

I explained the situation and Prince Wilson's opinion on it.

"I'm not too certain," she said, and my heart fell. 

She continued. "I agree with your first thoughts, it feels like we would make father's death permanent by doing so. I would rather wait for another letter from the royal army."

I sighed. "That could take months! It would be terribly difficult for messengers to get in and out of the 8th Realm with the war."

Charities nodded. "I see your point, but I still disagree."

"Fine." I threw my arms up in the air. "I will take your opinion into count, however, I cannot guarantee much of a wait especially when the kingdom has heard of father's death and is anxious for a leader."

"And you're sure that you are ready?" 

"What?" I whispered.

"Are you ready to be Queen?"

I closed my gaping mouth abruptly. "Of course." 

She nodded but didn't look convinced. "Than I suppose you do not need my advice, your Majesty."

"I suppose not," I writhed. 

Something suddenly pulled at my skirts.

"You're going to be Queen?" Juno exclaimed.

"Yes darling," I replied sweetly. "Is that okay?"

She nodded vigorously. 

"At least someone thinks so," I spat, threw a look at Charities, and turned out the door. 

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I almost fell down the first steps of the long staircase. I grumbled and stomped the rest of the way down. Each step only seemed to increase my anger. 

The decision is up to me. 

And if I was going to be Queen, then I needed to learn to take some initiative.

Being coronated seemed to make the most sense and would also relieve stress from Harriet if she could plan everything at once. I stood up, determined, and went to find Harriet so she could make the announcement to Glendowin.

"Princess Ariadne," a small voice said.

I turned to see Amity looking at me shyly, with her face half-covered by her long blond hair. Her hands were crossed in front of her dress that looked like it was made out of reptilian skin. I hoped that for her sake, no maids were around while she was that animal.

"What did you need?" I asked her.

She looked really nervous and avoided eye contact.

Finally, she spoke in a small whisper. "I need to tell you something. It's very important."

I drew closer to her and put my arm on her petite shoulder.

"What is it?"

She twiddled her thumbs for a moment before responding. "Don't get mad, okay?"

"I promise I won't."

She gulped. "I... followed you to the magic kingdom. A few times."

I looked at her in surprise. "How is that even possible?"

She shrugged. "I would just turn into a butterfly and follow you and watch you dance." She looked up at me in awe. "You are a very good dancer."

I smiled. "Thank you. That is very kind."

Then her eyes quickly found the floor once more.

"Is that all that you wanted to tell me?"

She shook her head. "One day, I didn't realize that you had left while I was flying around. Then I noticed the older boy talking to one of the others and I heard your name. I went over to listen on a bush near them." Then she looked up at me with her bright hazel eyes. "They were talking about you, but it wasn't pleasant."

Estevan. I shook my head. 

"They were talking about a plan, an evil plan. About your marriage!"

I choked down a laugh. "But that's not evil, is it?"

"No," she agreed. "But the way he talked... It didn't sound good."

I nodded. "Estevan wants me to marry the prince so that it can possibly free them from their cursed kingdom."

She looked at me confused. "So, you know?"

I nodded. "It's not evil. They just want to be free."

Her blue eyes dug into mine. "What if they get free and that is the evil thing."

"We don't know that."

"But I feel it," she said. "Right here." Amity placed her tiny hand over my heart. 

I decided to post this chapter a little early because it's pretty short. I hope you enjoyed it!

What do you think of all these warnings? 

Should Ariadne marry the Prince?

What should she do about Estevan??

Remember to comment and vote what you liked!! :)