Chapter 45: Two Birds, One Stone

[Free Horizon Adventurer's Guild - First Floor - Evergreen Village]

[Tay-ki]

"Alchemy? I've never heard of it." I said to Mr Mordred after he asked me about it.

"It's one of the classes I learnt about during my travels." He said running his fingers through his hair with a nostalgic look on his face.

The guild was crowded more than usual because people wanted to see the what the new guild looks like, but I must say that it really does look amazing.

The moment I had heard that we would be choosing classes I was already certain on what class I would be choosing. Haki and I had been certain that we would be choosing the Mage class. Now it wasn't a certainty  anymore since Mr Mordred came up to me and told me about this class.

"What's it like..." I started asking. "What's it like outside of the village."

When he heard the question he just smirked and closed his eyes. "It would be better if you find put for yourself, Taylor-Kindred."

I rolled my eyes at that answer. To some degree that was expected. 'Find out for yourself' or 'Only you can answer that when you see it'. Really, adults love giving vague answers when they are unable to tell you the truth. My brother does it all the time.

"What exactly is Alchemy then?" I asked. It was better to go back to the main topic I guess.

"It's the study of magical energy and using it to improve oneself and the environment we surround ourselves. We even get to make our own potions. It's pretty cool." He said then laughed.

"Yep." I nodded. "I don't understand... At all."

Mr Mordred laughed in response to this. "I didn't expect you to understand yet. It's something I think you would have the most fun experimenting with. I'm here to make you an offer on it."

"Which is?"

"Become my student."

The moment he said that my eyes widened. I couldn't believe that he wanted me to be he's student at all. I was utterly taken aback.

"Why me?" I couldn't accept it. "Why me instead -"

"Instead of Hakio?" He interrupted me with a smirk. "You praise your friend too much. You know you ranked second to him, right? That means you're his biggest competition. Not only that but if I remember correctly the real difference in strength between the two of you is the fact that he has larger pool of magical energy. In a decisive battle I think it would end in a tie."

"And what makes you say that?" I ask. It's true that I ranked second but the difference in abilities are far too great between us. I have to train myself to the limit if I could ever hope to catch up to him.

"Because you are going to fine-tune your skills. Polish them up to the best quality and maximize damage with minimum effort. It's the core believe of every Alchemist."

"Maximizing damage with minimum effort, huh?" I repeated while folding my arms as I thought about it.

When I turned to my left I saw Hakio and William leave to go on their own outside of the guild. It was a surprise to me but I think I can guess what William wants from Hakio. Sael, Eryville and Tiara are already filling in their forms meaning they already know what classes they are taking.

Everyone is already making their decisions and taking action. It means I'm already falling behind because of my indecisiveness.

Then the earlier talk that the rest of us gave to Hakio came to mind. He needs to stop overthinking things and doubting himself. That means I need to do it myself too, right?