Chapter 8: Why Are You Here??

[Coulron Library - Evergreen Village]

[Tay-ki]

"Damn it." I curse under my breath in the library. The Festival Starts tomorrow and I'm working on a new spell. Haki said he was going to do some training with his mother so that he can master on how to channel magic. I want to go with but I want to beat him with my own strength.

The spell I'm working on is a high level water spell called <Tsunami Wave>. It allows you to turn the magic in the atmosphere into water that can hit an opponent like a brick wall. The problem is that it takes a lot of concentration and energy that I know I don't have. Now I'm breaking down the spell to create a weaker version of it. The problem is the ratios aren't adding up and the chant has to be changed a bit as well. It isn't that hard to figure out but It will take more than a day to figure out and I can't focus properly ever since Haki fought his sister.

You literally see him get stronger the longer they fought on, and it wasn't even that long! I knew that Haki was some sort of prodigy for being able to copy spells and use it without using chants, but something was different with that fight. He had a sinister feel that creeped me out and most of the people watching. I even saw the guild master was watching. I feel as though no matter how hard I try, It's already impossible to catch up to him.

I grabbed the book and decided to take it home. This book was called 'Water History' and as the name explains, it gives the history of water, but it doesn't mention the fact that its water spells. The Librarian, Mr. Mordred, was old and slept most of the time in the library. He secretly let Haki and I take books home to study. The only reason Haki was running from my brother and the other guardians was because they saw it was a spell book. Lucky I wasn't there, right. Toya was so gonna kill me.

"What are you reading~?" I hear someone ask from behind.

My body stiffens up from the voice talking behind me. My face turns red as turn around to face her.

"H-Hey T-Tiara, wh-what a-a-are y-you d-doing h-here?" I stutter uncontrollably.

She laughs at me but my face only turns even redder. "You're so cute when you do that."

Boom!

A puff of smoke comes from my ears and my mind went blank. If you haven't noticed yet Tiara is my crush. She is the only child in the village I can't talk to. All my friends, all the villagers and she was the only one I can't talk to. I will never let Haki know my one weakness. He will make jokes about it and force me to talk to her. As you can see I'm miserably failing. Someone please help me!

She tilts her head and looks at me in curiosity. My head was dangling and the gears weren't turning properly. She lifted her hand to touch me but my body on instinct jumped up from my chair but my knees felt weak and I fell to the ground. The papers on the desk flew around and a few landed at her feet. One of the papers caught her attention and then she picked it up. Her face went from confused to shock.

She grabbed me by my collar and began shaking me violently like I was unconscious (in a way I was...). She held the paper to my face. "Did you do this?!" She yelled in a whispering voice. Mr. Mordred was still sleeping.

"Y-Yes."

The paper was the formula for <Tsunami Wave> to make it compatible to my magic. Wait, why was she excited?

"D-Do you know what it is?" I asked her.

She let go of me and stood up straight with her hands on her hips then pouted. "Did you really think you and HIM were the only ones who were practicing magic?" She said emphasizing on him, which I'm assuming is Haki.

"E-Everyone knows??" I yell. Mr. Mordred makes a irritated snore then went back to his normal snore. "Everyone knows?" I ask silently this time.

"N-No, A few knew already but rumours started since your friend was caught by the guards with a spell book. I decided that I would also get myself into magic. That's why I'm here. I've been practicing a few spells for about a year now when I have a chance but since I am to 'prepare' for the festival I can do some in-depth research and found you here. So what spell you working on?"

"I-Isn't your father going to get all mad since he came up with the rule?"

"The festival starts tomorrow with our different aspects we have to choose from right?"

"R-Right."

"So, he wouldn't know that I already studied magic if I take the course to become a grand mage."

"Gr-grand mage!" Grand mages are the main defence for the village. They are considered the strongest in the village and only three can be chosen. They're level of authority is just second to the chief and influence the council of elders in the village. What makes them more mysterious is that no one knows their identity except the chief.

She pouts at me again. "You don't think I have what it takes?"

"I do! I do! It's just..." I say slowly standing up to pick up the papers lying around. A vein appears on her forehead and then she balls her hands on her side. She's wearing a yellow dress.

"Just what?" She says through clenched teeth.

"N-No, th-thats not what I meant." I try to plead my case, but what should I say? I'm jealous of my best friend because he has bright future. That I can't ask her out because of our status difference? Is it because I don't think I have what it takes? No, I can't bother her with this.

"Why do you talk to me?" I ask her trying to be as serious as possible. My question seemed to have taken her by surprise because he face turned red. "Y-You idiot!" She hit me on my head then walked away. "Ow! W-what was that for?" She turned around and stuck out her tongue at me. "I will beat you and that vermin," she said. Did she just call Haki vermin?

She left without me getting a chance to say anything else. Damn it, Tay! What did you say wrong this time?? Your stuttering nervous attitude needs to stop! Why does it only happen with her?? Damn it!

I gather all my papers together and get ready to head home. Hopefully Toya won't be there. He's probably helping with the Initiation Festival. That brother of mine sure becomes a douche when he has free time. If he isn't there then I can perfect the formula and then create the spell. "I will beat you Haki," I whisper.

[Hakio]

"Ha choo!" I sneeze loudly while meditating.

"Are you sick Haki?" Ma asked looking up from her book.

"Nah, maybe it's nothing," I answer.

"Someone's probably talking about you," she went back to reading her book.

I laugh, "Ma you're joking, right?"

No answer.

"Right?"

Still no answer.

A shiver went down my spine. Gulp.

To Be Continued...