Chapter 0: 12 year old Hakio Silverton

[Streets of Evergreen Village]

"It's just a book!" I yell running through the streets of Evergreen Village.

The village guardians are giving chase at full speed with no signs of slowing down.

"Stop, Hakio!" I hear one of them yell.

Grinning, I Strat to pick up the pace. They should've known me by now.

I'm running at full speed which is almost twice as fast as all of them. All they see are parts of my blueish-black hair with a white shirt, brown shorts and sandals.

They're all wearing leather armour for better mobilization but they're still slower.

I'm not giving this book.

The book I 'borrowed' is about chants and different combinations of fire magic that can be applied. Magical circles aren't difficult to memorize but chants are another story. This book can help with my memorizing  skills.

Do you know how hard it is to get one of these? There is no school in our village but luckily there is a library to get books like these. I've mastered most of the books on fire magic but this one is a bit of a difficult one, haha... I just had to, okay?! Children under the age of twelve are not allowed to practice magic or do any official work. Speaking of twelve...

Wham!

I hit someone while running and we both tumble to the ground.

Dammit, I was too far lost in thought. There's no way I can outrun them now.

Wait, is the person I hit okay? Luckily I practiced some healing magic for times like this.

Wait, I'm on top of someone...

I look around to fully grasp the situation.

Long brown hair, fair skin and red dress. I'm lying on top of a girl, and not just any girl...

"T-Tiara?!"

Her eyebrows furrowed and then she opened her eyes. When she saw how close our faces were she immediately turned red and then started panicking.

"H-Haki? Wh-what are y-you d-doing?!" She stuttered.

Me, finally grasping the situation from the disappointed looks of the people around me, immediately jumped off of her. Her cat tail wagging like crazy.

Did I forget to mention that I live with Lycras?

I'm the only human in this village, though. I'll tell you more about it later. I'm kind of in trouble here.

"I-it was an accident, I swear-"

There was a grip on my shoulder. Slowly turning my head around, the colour drains from my face already knowing who it was. He looked at me smirking. It was Toya.

Yep, they've done this so much that I know them all by name.

"Finally I catch and you busy flirting with the chief's daughter? You're in big trouble, kid."

Tiara immediately jumped up after hearing the word 'flirt' and turned even redder than before. I'm already in trouble so I'm not going to do anything to make this more worse than it already is, but then I noticed the brown bag lying on the floor. She must have bought groceries, alone? Why is she shopping alone?

I tell Toya to let go of my shoulders. The other guards arrived already so I can't escape. I walk over to her and pick up the bag to hand it to her.

"Here... and sorry," I muttered, looking at the ground. The people watching were looking in awe. Then I noticed what's in the bag.

It's underwear!!

Now it makes sense. Why she was shopping alone. She realised when I blushed that I saw what was in the bag and steam was coming out of her head now. The problem is, this isn't embarrassment, it's anger.

Boom!

I regain my consciousness a few seconds later on the ground a few meters away from her.

She punched me!

She stuck her chin up, satisfied with the results of her punch and walked on home. I didn't bother to ask or say anything. Maybe I deserved that one.

A ton of people were confused about what just unfolded but they all came to one conclusion - it must be my fault! Toya and the guards were joking about it all the way home while I was feeling terrible about it. Maybe I'll apologize when I see here again.

The sun almost set when we arrived at my house. It's nearer to the centre of the city so it has more... 'energy' around it like ma said. Our house was a two story home with a complete wooden design. Majority of the houses looked like this but what made ours different was the steps toward the door. We were one of the few who had it.

Toya knocked on the door and a woman answered.

"Hi. Welcome to the Silverton household," she answered.

She was wearing a purple cooking apron over her white dress. She also had a purple scarf on her head to keep her red hair in place. She then saw me and the glamorous smile turned to gritting teeth and a bulging vein.

"Hey, Ma," I say.

"Get inside the house, Hakio Silverton, NOW!" She yelled.

Ah... shit.

To be continued...