Chapter 18.

Brad

"Are you positive this plan will work?" I asked Ray as she stood up from her chair, closing her laptop. I needed absolute reassurance that Sophie will not be in any real danger. I only wish to demonstrate just how easily things can go awry in a place like this—no matter the amount of security it has.

I sat back in my chair, studying Ray's expression and she seemed certain about the plan she's concocted.

"I'm sure," she said confidently. "I have no doubts whatsoever that everything will go according to plan. And, just to let you know, we do know the so-called client—very well actually. His name is Alfonso Moretti. He was one of my grandfather's closest friends." she tried to reassure me, though when she had mentioned her grandfather, it seemed to have hit a raw nerve for her because her eyes watered up and her bottom lip began to wobble.

She shook her head and quickly cleared her throat, "I'm sorry," she sniffled. "I guess it still hurts to talk about him." Embarrassed, she wiped her eyes with the handkerchief Damien handed her. Damien wrapped a comforting arm around her waist and murmured something into her ear. Her lips pulled to a small and relieved smile. Whatever he said to her must have pleased her. "I know we will," she dipped her head.

"It's only been a few months Ray," Nick spoke from behind me. "We understand Dante's death is still very raw for you and Cole."

Ray's eyes shifted to Cole. "Oh, Cole," his voice cracked. "I know how much you wish he could be here for yours and Kayes's wedding next weekend," she sadly told him.

"Oh, don't worry, sis," Cole said giving her a small smirk. "On the day I marry the love of my life, trust me, Pop's will be there with all of us, smiling proudly."

After several silent seconds passed, "Umm, if you don't mind me asking, how did Mr. Russo die?" I dared to ask. Hell, the news hadn't provided much information about it when he died. Only that he suffered from complications due to the gunshot wound months prior.

Ray blew out a shaky breath. "The doctors say he suffered from a massive heart attack."

Damien's top lip lifted, "well, the jury is still out on that one," and from the tone of his voice, it was clear that he didn't believe it.

My brows dipped, confused. "What? You don't think he died from a massive heart attack?" I mean, why would the doctor lie?

"No, I do believe he suffered from a massive heart attack. But my question is...why? Dante had no history of any heart problems...His bloodwork and tests came back perfect for a man of his age just that day. So what? Do you believe it's a coincidence that on the night before he was scheduled to be released he just suddenly dies?" he raised a questioning brow. "I'm sorry but, it's not adding up for me," he tugged Ray tighter into his side, "It doesn't add up for any of us," Ray laid her head on his chest, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"We believe someone wanted him dead." she sniffled. "We requested an autopsy and when the bloodwork came back a couple of weeks ago, they found a massive dose of isoprene, a type of diabetic insulin in his system. He wasn't a diabetic, so there was no reason for it to be in his system. Especially that high amount. We saw the blood work they had done earlier that day and there were no traces of it. We searched through all of his medical files and found no request for that drug or any dig to be administered. I know that drug is what caused his heart attack."

"Are you saying someone injected him with it?" my interest started to peek. I don't understand why none of this hasn't been in the news. Did someone kill Dante Russo?

"That's right," Cole said, taking a seat in the empty chair beside me.

"What have the police said?" I asked. Surely they're investigating it. "Do they have any suspects?"