다섯

It's not your place to know what's good for me...

Hye Jin huffed out a breath of frustration as Jimin complained about the movie

"Worst hero of the decade," He stated, "She is way too overpowered, and her character flaws, are just so, ugh, annoying."

He crumples his ticket, tossing it aside somewhere on the street. Jimin slurped his drink loudly as they exited the theater.

Hye Jin giggled lightly before countering, "Your just a misogynist."

Jimin cocked a brow before his face reddened in fury. "Am not!" He pouts as he speaks, "She just not a well-written superhero, Hye Jin. You know that!"

She shrugs as they pass by the construction site. Her heart thuds in her chest like the worker using a jackhammer. Hye Jin promised herself she wouldn't get like this.

Jimin holds onto the leftover bag popcorn, jaw tightening. "What happened earlier today."

Her heart raises a couple of ribs as the familiar blonde chats away behind the gates of the premises. Hye Jin forced herself to breathe.

"Mmm, nothing." 

And that was the truth. Because she wasn't quite sure what made the tall man upset either. For all she knew, nothing happened. 

Jimin sighs softly, before munching on crumbs of the popped kernel, "Hye Jin...

Here comes the therapy session, Hye Jin rolls her eyes.

"I know it-it still hurts. But you should give me another chance."

Hye Jin runs her hand through her dark locks. "Chim-Chim, I..."

She looks up at the look of despair etching onto Jimin's face. He loosely holds onto the snacks as he softly watches her every move.

"You know if I were dead. I would want you to move on."

Hye Jin's feet seem to stop working, as Jimin's shoulder brushes into her. The pain in heart bubbles into something wretched.

"Yah!" Her eyes are watering and Hye Jin's throat burns like that day at the bar. But her heart was throbbing and controlled every emotion.

Jimin stops ahead, his back turned her. He knew it was better this way. He couldn't face Hye Jin after what just slipped his mouth and he realized she wouldn't be able to face him now.

"You think all this is easy for me? You think I should just lay on my back until the right man comes along?" Hye Jin chuckles dryly. "I'm still searching for answers, Jimin! He didn't die of pneumonia!"

Jimin bites his tongue, knowing he said too much already. "Jimin, I'm glad you're not dead. So I could watch you suffer every second that I'm not with you."

Jimin hears a sniffle but goes against his instinct to comfort her. She needs time. Jimin steps away from the crying woman, as he kept reminding himself of these notions so he wouldn't feel bad.

•••

Jeongguk rummaged through his older sister's fridge, smacking on a spoonful of peanut butter. It's been a couple of weeks of moving to his new humble abode and he wasn't too happy.

First off, there was never food. Why didn't no one tell him buying food for yourself came with a price? He sighed softly, drowning the sticky, nutty butter with cold banana milk.

He noticed Hye Jin waltz inside moments ago. Usually, she'll get furious at him for tearing through her fridge, slipping off her shoe and constantly smashing it over his head.

Jeongguk chuckled. That trait definitely came from their mother. Whenever they did something she wouldn't approve of she'll smack them on the head with a slipper. She was loving nonetheless.

Jeongguk bit into a piece of toast. The crunch echoing the silent kitchen as he rolled the crumbs off his face. He should really check on Hye Jin.

Her eyes were red and blotchy. She was strong. This had to be the second time Jeongguk saw her this disheartened. Not like at her fiance's funeral.

He sighed again, grabbing some pieces of extra toast with peanut butter. Jeongguk contemplated on what to say, as he wasn't much of a comforter. His footsteps carried him in front of his sister's pastel yellow door.

"Noona~" He sang in a baritone. He began to balance the plate of toast on his arm and rest his free hand on top of the knob.

"Go away."

He turned it slowly, revealing a distraught Hye Jin, cooped up under her comforter. "I come baring food."

Hye Jin rolls her brown eyes, her younger brother's cheesiness lifting her somber mood. "I said 'go away.' Besides you took my own bread."

Jeongguk grins, hopping onto her bed. He missed his older sister's company almost as much as he missed their parents.

"I've got selective hearing." He joked, munching on a piece of bread.

The woman smirked before grabbing her own piece. They both crunched waiting for someone to break the tension. Jeongguk wanting to know what got Hye Jin worked up while Hye Jin wanted a different kind of conversation.

"How was...your date?"

Hye Jin chokes. "I don't think I can call it a date."

Jimin was everything. Extremely handsome, well-mannered, at times. Plus, he was the head surgeon. But he wasn't quite like her first boyfriend. 

"Come on, Noona," Jeongguk complained. "You've known him since the incident. Plus, he really likes you."

Hye Jin scoffs before changing the subject. "What about Hana? She's a nice girl."

A warmth spreads around the apples of Jeongguk's cheeks. "What?! Your crazy, awkward friend?" 

Hye Jin slaps his arm in the offense. "Yah! That's still my friend."

Jeongguk rolls his eyes, clearing his throat, "You know I'm still interested in Jennie."

Hye Jin raises her brows, "That's not healthy."

Jeongguk was still involved with Jennie, his on-again-off-again girlfriend. His more mature sister just wanted the best for him.

"How can you tell me what's good and healthy?" Jeongguk raises his voice, "At least she makes me feel needed and wanted."

His round eyes turned somber, staring at the uneaten squares of toast. "I-I just want to feel loved. Even if I'm being used."

Hye Jin's mouth opens, unable to say any words of encouragement. How could she? Not when the dark-haired woman already had her own feelings of worthlessness dwelling in the pit of her stomach.

Her thin arms slip around his shoulders, pulling Jeongguk close. He began to nuzzle his face in the crook of her neck. He misses her tender actions. His own sister's compassionate touch.

"Mom and Dad screwed us up, huh?" He chuckled softly. Hye Jin says nothing and pecks his forehead.

It was their closeness that gives the siblings sickening nostalgic memories of their childhood. Including Hye Jin holding her chubby little brother close to her heart.

After the hug, they both silently chew on the cold toasted bread. Hye Jin reflecting on her past relationships while Jeongguk thought about the difference between Jennie and the raven-haired older girl, Hana.