Chapter Twenty-Two: Friends with Benefits

When Nate returned from work, in an especially good mood, Liya wanted to mention his father's visit, but she knew better. One word that Thaedyn Greyson had been in their home, without his permission, and she was likely to start WWIII. Instead, she smiled, handed him a glass of his favorite wine and pretended this morning, and the visit from Thaedyn never happened. It amazed her how quickly she deciphered Nate's buttons, once she moved in with him. While a part of her still needed to know the truth, she chose the path of peace. It was better that way—for everyone.

"I hope you don't mind I invited Raegan over for dinner tonight. I'm celebrating."

'And you need to invite her because?' Was what she really wanted to say, but she just nodded her head and smiled. "Sure. I'll just let Alysia know."

"I already informed her on the way home."

'Then why the hell did you pose it as a question?' She thought as she melted in his arms.

"What are we celebrating?" 

"The close of a very important deal—one that was years in the making. I know I've been a little stressed lately, but now that this deal is over, I can relax."

"Good, because I kind of like laid back Nate."

"Oh, you do?" He grazed her earlobe with his teeth and pulled her closer.

"Yeah, much better than uptight Mr. Nathaniel Greyson."

"I'll show you uptight." He grabbed her rib cage as the Westminster chimes of their doorbell rang, signaling Raegan's arrival. "I'll deal with you later, Ms. Richards." He smiled as he went to answer the front door.

The sound of Raegan's voice echoing in the foyer was enough to send Liya off the edge, but when she entered the great room and saw the two of them embracing, it took everything inside her not to send the bitch home.

"Raegan." She put on her most gracious smile and invited her competition in their home.

"Liya. I hope you don't mind me barging in on you guys like this?"

"No, don't be silly. Let me go check on dinner. Make yourself comfortable."

******

"Remember that summer after your father married Patrice?" Raegan laughed and placed her hand on Nate's shoulder.

"Oh, No. Please, Liya doesn't need to hear this story." Nate smiled and took a sip of wine as he cleared his place at the table.

"Caroline brought home her first boyfriend. What was his name?" She turned her attention from Liya to Nate.

"Cameron." Nate rubbed the back of his neck as he leaned against the counter and watched the two women.

"Cameron, that's right! Anyway. It was me, Nate, Caroline, and her boyfriend. I don't know whose idea it was to go skinny dipping but..." 

Judging by the look she gave Nate--it was him.

Liya inhaled and pretended to be interested in Raegan's recount of the past, all the while watching the clock and counting the minutes until she went home.

"We waited until midnight when the parental figures were asleep—snuck out of the house and went to the beach. Nate was the bold one and started to strip first."

Turning her gaze to Nate, he bowed his head in shame and started making excuses. "I had one too many beers that night."

"Nudity and underage drinking?  This story just keeps getting better." Liya laughed as she took a huge sip of wine and cleared her place; joining Nate at the counter