Chapter Seven: Cruel Intentions

Divide and conquer. That was Patrice's plan, and the reason she made sure Nathaniel and Aaliyah were seated on opposite ends of the table.

While Patrice cared for Nathaniel, she knew her stepson too well. He liked cheap thrills and made sport of seducing young women; tossing them by the wayside like a dirty pair of socks.

It was time he put away his childish behavior and settle down. He needed a strong woman of good upbringing; one that wouldn't put up with his shit. Raegan Finn Harper was that woman.

The only child from a prominent New York family, Raegan was the ideal wife for a man of Nathaniel's stature. She and Nathaniel practically grew up together. They both attended the same prep school and their families often spent summers together in the Hamptons.

It was a no brainer.

Aaliyah, on the other hand, couldn't have been more opposite. The only child of a single mother, she managed to use her talents to escape the poverty of inner-city life. Patrice admired her for that, but Aaliyah didn't belong in their world, no matter how hard she tried or how many designer dresses she borrowed.

Sighing to herself, Patrice watched from the opposing end of the table as her husband stayed true to his nature—flirting shamelessly with his son's girlfriend. While Aaliyah was obviously uncomfortable with Thaedyn's advances, she was too polite to put a stop to them.

Glancing occasionally in Nathaniel's direction, she smiled to ensure him everything was alright. But Patrice knew her stepson too well. The heated glares he gave weren't for his father, they were for Aaliyah. He was warning her. She was crossing a line. A line many before her had failed to steer clear of.

Taking a sip of her wine, Patrice secretly congratulated herself and watched her plan unfold.

"By the evening's end," she chuckled. "Nathaniel and Aaliyah's little tryst would be a thing of the past."

*****

"Aaliyah's a tough cookie. She can handle your father." Raegan smiled, trying to ease Nate's worries.

"What?" Nate frowned as he took his eyes off his father. "It's not Aaliyah I'm worried about."

"You know your father, Nate. He's harmless. Besides, Patrice has got her eye on him. She'll keep him in check." She motioned to the head of the table where Patrice watched over the guest like a hawk.

Laughing, Nathaniel let his guard down. "It's good to see you, Raegan. What have you been up to?"

"The usual. An endless string of social events followed by your occasional board meeting or two."

"How about you?"

"The same. Only, now I have Aaliyah to come home to." He turned his attention back to his girlfriend and smiled. "She's amazing Raegan. You'll love her."

"She must be. Putting up with you isn't easy."

"You got that right."

They laughed.

"It was good seeing a familiar face," he thought as he took a sip of wine. Patrice's parties were usually boring as hell—a pathetic attempt at hooking him up with any dull socialite she thought would make a suitable daughter-in-law.

Raegan was different.

She actually worked for a living and had more in common with Nathaniel than anyone of these debutants combined.

"So, are you seeing anyone?" He raised his brow and gave his signature smile.

"No one interesting. My mother keeps reminding me that I'm not getting any younger. Something about a biological clock?"