Chapter One: A Chance Meeting

Aaliyah Richards understood hunger—it's what drove her

   Aaliyah Richards understood hunger—it's what drove her. Growing up in the inner city of Detroit it surrounded her, consumed her, and pushed her to make a better life for herself and her mother.

As a young child, she knew she had the gift of writing. She never doubted—one day—that gift would be her ticket out. She nurtured her gift, spending hours in the library reading whatever she could find until one day she earned a full scholarship to Brown.

Majoring in English literature, she thrived, and during her sophomore year, she wrote her first novel. She never imagined, years later, that book would lead to a string of #1 bestsellers and the lifestyle she and her mother always dreamed of.

It was this humbling realization that almost brought her to tears as she sat in a trendy bookstore in East village, signing copies of her latest book.

"Who should I make this out to?" She smiled at the young black woman in front of her.

"Chisara. I love your books, Ms. Richards." The young woman smiled brightly.

"Thank you Chisara. I love your name. How do you spell it?" She waited for the young woman to enlighten her.

"Chisara, C-H-I-S-A-R-A."

Signing her name for the millionth time, Aaliyah smiled and handed the book back to the young woman.

Sitting upright, she took the opportunity to stretch her back before another patron presented their book. She enjoyed getting out and meeting her fans, but she'd been sitting in a wooden chair for the past hour and a half—even she had her limits.

What she wanted, more than anything, was to curl up on her sofa with a good book and a glass of wine while she watched the snow forecasted for later fall. But with her luck, she wouldn't get out of here for another hour and by then, the snow would be so heavy, it would feel more like a blizzard.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the book signing will be ending in five minutes. If you would like for Ms. Richards to sign your book, please do so now." The manager of the bookstore announced over the loudspeaker before giving Aaliyah a warm smile. Aaliyah could tell the woman wanted this day over more than she did.

"Can you make this out to my niece, Bella. She's a huge fan." The deep voice asked as Aaliyah took the book without acknowledging its owner.

She didn't mean to be rude, but she felt obligated to the people in line and she'd done enough small talk today as it was.

"To Bella," She signed a warm sentiment and then her name.

Returning the book, she lifted her gaze and exhaled as the steel blue eyes of a beautiful stranger looked down at her.

Polished to perfection, as if he walked off the set of a GQ photo session—the man standing before her was the embodiment of masculinity. Like every woman who was privileged to cross paths with him, Aaliyah was mesmerized.